Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com> on 2005/12/02 00:54:32 UTC

Should we change the default startup progress format for 1.0?

A few people have suggested we change the default startup format to one
that doesn't use line feeds to update the progress of a configuration
that is being loaded.

I like the existing startup format as it looks fancy and doesn't produce
as many lines of output than the longer format (see example below), but
it isn't very usable when error messages are issued as the display of
the error can end up being garbled due to the thread that updates the
configuration status line (using line feeds) every 500ms.  This could
become a support issue.

Now is the time to decide, as it will be harder to change our minds
later after 1.0.

I am proposing that the existing default progress output be used when
the -s or --short option is specified.  This will impact existing
documentation.

Here is an example of the output in the proposed long format:

Booting Geronimo Kernel (in Java 1.4.2_08)...
Started configuration  1/15   0s org/apache/geronimo/RMINaming
Started configuration  2/15   2s org/apache/geronimo/RuntimeDeployer
Started configuration  3/15   0s org/apache/geronimo/Jetty
Started configuration  4/15   2s org/apache/geronimo/Tomcat
Started configuration  5/15   0s org/apache/geronimo/Server
Started configuration  6/15   0s org/apache/geronimo/Security
Started configuration  7/15  10s org/apache/geronimo/ActiveMQServer
Started configuration  8/15   0s org/apache/geronimo/SystemJMS
Started configuration  9/15   0s org/apache/geronimo/SystemDatabase
Started configuration 10/15   2s org/apache/geronimo/Directory
Started configuration 11/15   0s org/apache/geronimo/JettyRuntimeDeployer
Started configuration 12/15   0s org/apache/geronimo/TomcatRuntimeDeployer
Started configuration 13/15   1s
org/apache/geronimo/applications/Welcome/Jetty
Started configuration 14/15   1s org/apache/geronimo/Console/Jetty
Started configuration 15/15   0s org/apache/geronimo/HotDeployer
Startup completed in 21 seconds
  Listening on Ports:
    1099 0.0.0.0 RMI Naming
    1527 0.0.0.0 Derby Connector
    4201 0.0.0.0 ActiveIO Connector EJB
    4242 0.0.0.0 Remote Login Listener
    8019 0.0.0.0 Tomcat Connector AJP
    8080 0.0.0.0 Jetty Connector HTTP
    8090 0.0.0.0 Tomcat Connector HTTP
    8443 0.0.0.0 Jetty Connector HTTPS
    8453 0.0.0.0 Tomcat Connector HTTPS
   61616 0.0.0.0 ActiveMQ Message Broker Connector

  Started Application Modules:
    EAR: org/apache/geronimo/Console/Jetty
    WAR: org/apache/geronimo/applications/Welcome/Jetty

  Web Applications:
    http://JSLAP:8080/
    http://JSLAP:8080/console
    http://JSLAP:8080/console-standard

Geronimo Application Server started

John

Re: Should we change the default startup progress format for 1.0?

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
+1 to Aaron's plan

-dain

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 12/1/05, Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu> wrote:

> I think the alternative above would be a great option for when you're
> launching the server into the background, and should be used by any
> scripts we produce if we detect that the user wants to launch into the
> background or redirect output to a file.
>
> It would also be possible to make the default display format a
> configurable setting for each user (you know, with a properties file
> in the home dir or something), so David can configure his to always
> show that way.  :)

+1 to make the progress bar display configurable.

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo
http://geronimo.apache.org/

Re: Should we change the default startup progress format for 1.0?

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
I prefer the progress bar as well as the default, however in the server
console in WTP, the progress bar doesn't display correctly (displays line by
line), so I'm launching the server with "-v".  So having this available in
the tools as the default format would be nice.

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
I prefer the progress bar.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
I like this much better