Posted to j-users@xalan.apache.org by Eric Chijioke <er...@hotmail.com> on 2002/01/18 01:32:24 UTC

XPathAPI performance problems

I am having some serious performance issues with XPathAPI processing using
the latest releases of Xalan and Xerces (Xalan j 2.2.0 and Xerces 2 D14).

I have tried a very simple test case which attempts using a DOM document
which consists of about 1000 sibling elements directly beneath the document
root node. Each element has 1 attribute and a 3 childred nodes.

I query/parse this file by getting a 1000 element NodeList from the root
using XPathAPI.selectNodeList() and subsequently querying each of the 1000
nodes with 4 calls to XPathAPI.selectSingleNode() in order to get the
attribute and node values.

Using the first releases of Xalan 1.x and Xerces 1.x , this feat was
accomplished in under 3 seconds. Using the current releases, noted above,
this takes up to 10 minutes!.
The individual calls to selectSingleNode() take up to a half-second each!

Does anyone know anything about this, are others having these probems?

I have seen a couple other posts that seem to hint at this problem, but no
definitive resolution as of yet.  Using cachedXPathAPI only reduces the time
by about a factor of 3.

  thanks in advance,

             Eric