Posted to dev@stanbol.apache.org by "A. Soroka" <aj...@virginia.edu> on 2016/05/19 15:49:34 UTC

Whither Stanbol

Hi, Stanbol folks!

I'm writing to you on behalf of the community of Fedora Commons (http://fedora-commons.org). Fedora is an information architecture with open source reference implementation that has come into wide use over the last fifteen years in the "cultural heritage" world of libraries, archives, museums, etc. For many years, we've been intensely concerned with the ideas that go under the loose label of "the Semantic Web". In fact, the latest edition of Fedora is an Linked Data Platform implementation, amongst other things.

Several institutions using Fedora are also using Stanbol for various tasks (supporting OpenRefine, metadata entity management, NER, etc.), and some discussion has occurred about its state and future potential. It's not totally clear to us what kind of development community and commitment therefrom currently exists. There has been discussion about a 1.0 release of Stanbol, but there doesn't seem to be much other activity in the codebase, with very few of the listed committers making commits.

We were wondering if it is possible to get a better sense of the near-mid-term future of the project. Is there a road map beyond the 1.0 release? Is Stanbol seeking new developers? What kinds of resources are missing to put more vitality back into Stanbol? It's an excellent project filled with great ideas and we'd like to see it move forward.

We'd be happy to get together for a telephone call / Google Hangout / other meeting, if that seems useful!

---
A. Soroka
The University of Virginia Library

Re: Whither Stanbol

Posted by Antero Duarte <a....@gmail.com>.
Sure, I'll do that, thanks for the feedback.

I have to make an amend though. I asked about stanbol accepting form data
POST requests, turns out it does, it's just the error message when you get
the parameters wrong says it's not implemented. (this needs changed? I can
submit a pull request if I find the relevant piece of code)

For anyone wondering, stanbol accepts the following:

POST
content => "Text to enhance"
format => {equivalent to Accept header}
async => boolean (don't know what this changes)

Regards,
Antero

Re: Whither Stanbol

Posted by Stefano Cossu <sc...@artic.edu>.
Hi Antero,

Re: Whither Stanbol

Posted by Antero Duarte <a....@gmail.com>.
Thank you for your reply, it helps a lot.

About Marmotta, I'm quite happy to write the documentation if someone can
teach me how to do it myself. I will also have a look when I have time and
try to submit pull requests if I think some bits of my own documentation
can benefit the rest of the community.

About remote SOLR, I will have a look again into this but I could possibly
use some help to set that up. Once again, I'm happy to give back any
knowledge that I get from this process in the form of a step by step
instruction guide.

Ontonet: Will park this for now.

Form data POST requests: Yes, turns out it is implemented, I noticed this
when inspecting the graphical frontend for the enhancer, it's just the
error message you get back when you send form data is misleading if you get
the wrong fields:

"Parsing Content as 'application/x-www-form-urlencoded' is not
supported!Please directly POST the content and set the 'Content-Type'
header to the media type of the parsed content. 'application/octet-stream'
SHOULD BE used if the media type of the parsed content is not known."

I can try to find the relevant piece of code and submit a pull request to
change this message as well.

Thanks for the extra info, it was helpful and useful.

Best Regards,
Antero

Re: Whither Stanbol

Posted by Rafa Haro <rh...@apache.org>.
Hi Antero,

Re: Whither Stanbol

Posted by Antero Duarte <a....@gmail.com>.
Hi there,

Re: Whither Stanbol

Posted by Stefano Cossu <sc...@artic.edu>.
Hello,

Re: Whither Stanbol

Posted by Antero Duarte <a....@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Whither Stanbol

Posted by Rafa Haro <rh...@apache.org>.
HI Antero,

Re: Whither Stanbol

Posted by Antonio David Pérez Morales <ad...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys

I also agree with the Antero's and Rafa's comments.

Regarding the list created by klim I would add:

- PHP Stanbol client (I created it but it needs to be updated a bit to
cover all the REST api's, right now only EntityHub and Enhancer)
- Java client was developed by Zaizi (Rafa and I were involved on that) but
it needs to be updated as well, so I would create a new version as well
with the new dependency versions.

Apart from that, I was working in trying to make Stanbol work inside Apache
Karaf but I had problems and I didn't have time to continue working on
that. But I would like to make it work because we could leverage many
features provided by Karaf (like ESB, shell command line, remote ssh access
to the console, etc)

So, as agreed, we could extend this list and try to review it among all the
members in this community.

Regards

Re: Whither Stanbol

Posted by klim klim <kl...@gmail.com>.