Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/30 16:22:37 UTC

Use of bugzilla

Hi all,

I need to do a 5 minute presentation for an employer, who want to
check my presentation skills. I have choosen "Atlassian tools at the
ASF", because its a very small topic.

I now would like to know why log4j is still using bugzilla. Was it to
difficult to move? Or are there some people who favour bugzilla - and
if so, why?

I am interested in personal opinions - feel free to call Jira everything :-)
Of course if you are using/liking/disliking any of the other tools
like Confluence of Clover, let me hear your comments.

Thanks in advance,
Christian

Re: Use of bugzilla

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
Inertia.  log4j 1.x is a mature product and was using Bugzilla before Jira was a supported option.  The change list and mailing list archives reference often Bugzilla bug numbers, so jumping would require either losing that history or migrating the bug history and finding a way to make it easy to find the JIRA issue corresponding to a Bugzilla entry.  Never been a compelling benefit to justify a change.

log4cxx, log4net and log4php's bug repos were started after the ASF started hosting JIRA.  log4j 2.0 development has a JIRA instance.

An advantage of JIRA (at least at the time) was the SVN integration that would allow the issue to automatically show the source code changes with matching comments.  Bugzilla may have closed that gap.

Used Clover long ago for test coverage and was glad to have it.  No experience with Confluence.