Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by "George, Janeve" <Ja...@lionbridge.com> on 2007/05/28 13:51:30 UTC

QUERY!!! Which is the best IDE to enhance Apache Lenya?

Hi All,

If I download the source code of Apache Lenya, and want to enhance some
of its features, "which IDE would be the best" for the purpose and
"why"?

A list of possible IDEs:
- Eclipse
- IntelliJ IDEA
- NetBeans
- Workshop for WebLogic
- Oracle JDeveloper
- IBM Rational Software Architecture
- Borland JBuilder

Regards,
- Janeve George

Re: QUERY!!! Which is the best IDE to enhance Apache Lenya?

Posted by Richard Frovarp <Ri...@sendit.nodak.edu>.
Joern Nettingsmeier wrote:
> George, Janeve wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> If I download the source code of Apache Lenya, and want to enhance some
>> of its features, "which IDE would be the best" for the purpose and
>> "why"?
>>
>> A list of possible IDEs: - Eclipse
>
> most lenya devs seem to use eclipse, so that's probably the one you
> get the most support for. but i still haven't learned to use it... for
> me it's still a bunch of xterms, editor windows and lots of grep and
> find. :)

I'm pretty much in the same boat right now as well. Good old fashioned
grep through the entire project has helped me in the past track down all
sorts of issues.

Re: QUERY!!! Which is the best IDE to enhance Apache Lenya?

Posted by Joern Nettingsmeier <ne...@folkwang-hochschule.de>.

--
jörn nettingsmeier

home://germany/45128 essen/lortzingstr. 11/
http://spunk.dnsalias.org
phone://+49/201/491621

Kurt is up in Heaven now.

Re: QUERY!!! Which is the best IDE to enhance Apache Lenya?

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
George, Janeve wrote:

>Thanks Thorsten and Joern.
>
>Even I am familiar with Eclipse IDE. There countless plugins available.
>
>Other IDEs are also not bad. On my research on the best suitable IDE,
>along with Eclipse, I found others too and most of them had great
>reviews. Netbeans is a great IDE which can be efficiently used for
>developing Swing GUI. IntelliJ is excellent in developing Struts
>application, etc...
>
>Frankly, I am really confused of which IDE makes the developer more
>efficient (for extending Lenya).

It seems to me that most Lenya devs are using Eclipse, whereas myself is
using "vi(m)" and the command line in general.

But I think you should use whatever you are most comfortable with and
Lenya should allow this kind of diversity.

If you feel like Lenya has some specific settings which make it
dependent on some specific IDE, then please speak up
as quickly as you can.

HTH

Michael

--
Michael Wechner
+41 44 272 91 61

RE: QUERY!!! Which is the best IDE to enhance Apache Lenya?

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com>.
On 5/28/07, George, Janeve <Ja...@lionbridge.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> If I download the source code of Apache Lenya, and want to enhance some
> of its features, "which IDE would be the best" for the purpose and
> "why"?
>
> A list of possible IDEs:
> - Eclipse
> - IntelliJ IDEA
> - NetBeans
> - Workshop for WebLogic
> - Oracle JDeveloper
> - IBM Rational Software Architecture
> - Borland JBuilder
>
> Regards,
> - Janeve George

It's my understanding that several of the Lenya committers regularly
use Eclipse, and Lenya's ant build process even includes a target for
creating an Eclipse project file.

Re: QUERY!!! Which is the best IDE to enhance Apache Lenya?

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
George, Janeve schrieb:
> Hi All,
>
> If I download the source code of Apache Lenya, and want to enhance some
> of its features, "which IDE would be the best" for the purpose and
> "why"?
>
> A list of possible IDEs:
> - Eclipse

I favor Eclipse, especially because it's free and offers nice
refactoring and code management functions (type hierarchy, find
references, ...). That's invaluable unless you have the brain to
keep an overview of all the code (I haven't). And I wouldn't want
to live without the "quick fix" key anymore :)

IMO the SVN integration isn't really useful, though (too slow and
error-prone).

I used to work with NetBeans (didn't like the Swing-based GUI)
and IntelliJ Idea. Idea might be the better IDE in some aspects,
but Eclise is good enough for me so I don't need to spend money.

For XML editing I use Oxygen. But before paying for the next
update I'll take another look at the open source alternatives.

BTW, here's a little page how to setup Lenya 1.4-dev in Eclipse:

http://lenya.apache.org/docs/1_4/tutorials/setupide/index.html

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO