Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Nico Pappagianis <ni...@salesforce.com> on 2017/04/06 01:15:49 UTC

Physical memory (bytes) snapshot counter question - how to get maximum memory used in reduce task

Hi all

I've made some memory optimizations on the reduce task and I would like to
compare the old reducer vs new reducer in terms of maximum memory
consumption.

I have a question regarding the description of the following counter:

PHYSICAL_MEMORY_BYTES | Physical memory (bytes) snapshot | Total physical
memory used by all tasks including spilled data.

I'm assuming this means the aggregate of memory used throughout the entire
reduce task (if viewing at the reduce task-level).
Please correct me if I'm wrong on this assumption (the description seems
pretty straightforward).

Is there a way to get the maximum (not total) memory used by a reduce task
from the default counters?

Thanks!

Re: Physical memory (bytes) snapshot counter question - how to get maximum memory used in reduce task

Posted by Sultan Alamro <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nico,

Did you check the jhist file?
It has all details about each task.

Best,
Sultan

Posted by Miklos Szegedi <mi...@cloudera.com>.
There are two new counters, MAP_PHYSICAL_MEMORY_BYTES_MAX and
REDUCE_PHYSICAL_MEMORY_BYTES_MAX that give you the max value for map and
reduce respectively.

Thanks,
Miklos

Posted by Aaron Eng <ae...@mapr.com>.