Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by marco <ma...@hotmail.com> on 2002/01/25 02:27:09 UTC

how to display a web page with a MS word document which is stored in database

I am using cocoon 2, tomcat 4.0, jdk1.3, mySQL 3.23.39.

I am thinking of store the MS word document in database or file system.
Please advise which storage method is the best and please advise the detail
technical implementation of the two methods (i.e. how to write the code of
the program). Thanks.

Re: how to display a web page with a MS word document which is stored in database

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>>marco wrote:
>>

>>>I am using cocoon 2, tomcat 4.0, jdk1.3, mySQL 3.23.39.
>>>
>>>I am thinking of store the MS word document in database or file system.
>>>Please advise which storage method is the best and please advise the detail
>>>technical implementation of the two methods (i.e. how to write the code of
>>>the program). Thanks.
>>>

>>This question is not Cocoon-related, and even less cocoon-dev related.
>>The cocoon-users list is there to help you if you have problems using
>>Cocoon, but people won't do your job for you.
>>

> Easy, Sylvain,
>
> I think Marco wanted to know about
>
>  <map:read>
>
> which is the tag that you should place in the pipeline to let cocoon
> 'read' (without processing) the MS Word document.
>
> There are more implementations of the reading behavior, and you can even
> write your own in order to provide the functionality you need (for ex,
> store the file into a database BLOB)

That is already taken care of (has been for a while now) :)

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

Re: how to display a web page with a MS word document which is stored in database

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

>Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>>marco wrote:
>>
>>>I am using cocoon 2, tomcat 4.0, jdk1.3, mySQL 3.23.39.
>>>
>>>I am thinking of store the MS word document in database or file system.
>>>Please advise which storage method is the best and please advise the detail
>>>technical implementation of the two methods (i.e. how to write the code of
>>>the program). Thanks.
>>>
>>This question is not Cocoon-related, and even less cocoon-dev related.
>>The cocoon-users list is there to help you if you have problems using
>>Cocoon, but people won't do your job for you.
>>

>Easy, Sylvain,

Sorry for this reply : I was annoyed by the imperative and repeated
"please advice" (also, I didn't had my morning coffee ;). Marco's next
post was more understandable and friendly.

Sorry again,
Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez

Re: how to display a web page with a MS word document which is stored in database

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> marco wrote:
>
> >I am using cocoon 2, tomcat 4.0, jdk1.3, mySQL 3.23.39.
> >
> >I am thinking of store the MS word document in database or file system.
> >Please advise which storage method is the best and please advise the detail
> >technical implementation of the two methods (i.e. how to write the code of
> >the program). Thanks.
> >
> This question is not Cocoon-related, and even less cocoon-dev related.
> The cocoon-users list is there to help you if you have problems using
> Cocoon, but people won't do your job for you.

Easy, Sylvain,

I think Marco wanted to know about

 <map:read>

which is the tag that you should place in the pipeline to let cocoon
'read' (without processing) the MS Word document.

There are more implementations of the reading behavior, and you can even
write your own in order to provide the functionality you need (for ex,
store the file into a database BLOB)

Hope this helps.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: how to display a web page with a MS word document which is stored in database

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
marco wrote:

> Thanks for your reply. May be my question is mis-leading.
>
> Let's me put it the other way around.
>
> How can I make use of cocoon to allow users to download a MS Word file from
> the web server database using their web browser?
>
> What program code do I need and what should I put in the sitemap of cocoon?

Take a look at the DatabaseReader

After you have done some homework on that, you can ask more specific questions.

(Note, instructions on how to use it are best suited for "cocoon-users" list.

Posted by Carlos Araya <ca...@cvc.edu>.