Posted to user@oodt.apache.org by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov> on 2013/03/20 00:51:33 UTC

My Hadoop Summit Talk: NASA+BigData

Hey Guys,

I proposed a talk for NASA and Big Data at the Hadoop Summit:

http://hadoopsummit2013.uservoice.com/forums/196822-future-of-apache-hadoop
/suggestions/3733470-nasa-science-and-technology-for-big-data-junkies-

If you still have votes, and would like to support my talk, I'd certainly
appreciate it!

Thank you for considering.

Cheers,
Chris Mattmann
Vote Herder

Re: My Hadoop Summit Talk: NASA+BigData

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey Bruce,

On 3/20/13 7:56 AM, "Bruce Barkstrom" <br...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'll subside after one minor note on the "sky is the archive."

Don't ever subside! I appreciate your feedback and commentary and
wholly look up to you for advice and help.

Your cynicism at the conference is totally understood amidst as you
mention your ability to download the conference (or something similar ^_^)
off of your Gmail web page :)

>I once had a course from W. W. Morgan, the U. Chicago prof who
>developed the atlas of stellar types (A, O, B, etc.).  He had
>the spectrum of a "standard type R".  As I recall, two weeks
>after he published his atlas with the spectra, the star defining
>the type became a variable.

Precisely.

>Also, I note that on this very Google Mail page, I can get
>a "Free Guide to Big Data", as well as the "IBM Big Data
>Free eBook".  I suppose I don't need to go to a conference
>to become informed.

Nah, but it would be less fun without you there! Who else will represent
the society of troublemakers, and scientific reality, that is,
the people actually doing the work?!!

Take care my friend.

Cheers,
Chris