Posted to dev@tinkerpop.apache.org by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com> on 2016/12/10 11:17:13 UTC

[DISCUSS] Post-GraphSON 2.0

We released GraphSON 2.0 with the 3.2.x line. As I look at all the various
tickets related to IO (for both GraphSON and Gryo) I think we'll have a
hard time getting them all in place while being completely true to GraphSON
2.0. There are just lots of little inconsistencies and under optimizations
that are coming out of our learning around GLVs and bytecode that I think
will continue to arise as we work on 3.3.0. Since we've long ago gained
consensus on 3.3.0 being a breaking version, I think that we'll need the
latitude with GraphSON to do a GraphSON 3.0 which will have analogous
features to a new version of Gryo which we'll also call 3.0 (hopefully it
won't be confusing to skip 2.0 with gryo). In that way, we'll have 3.3.0
align with GraphSON 3.0 and Gryo 3.0 - the threes all work together - that
seems to work out nicely.

Anyway - if there are any concerns about that path, please yell.