Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by pr...@wipro.com on 2014/08/19 12:00:33 UTC

[users@httpd] Slow performance in Apache

Hi All,

Need urgent help from all you experts. We have a tomcat and apache server on same physical box .Earlier it was working fine however last week application is integrated with IDAM, since then whenever user is accessing the link through IDAM application is responding either very slow or not at all, Once apache is restarted ,again it start working and after 3-4 hours again same issue occurs. Please suggest.
Have done some tuning at apache end as well like

Timeout 120
KeepAlive Off
MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
KeepAliveTimeout 15

Still not working.

--
Regards
Pratibha

www.wipro.com

Re: [users@httpd] Slow performance in Apache

Posted by Frederik Nosi <fr...@postecom.it>.
On 08/25/2014 08:25 PM, Rainer Jung wrote:
[...]
>> Out of curiosity, on the summary page generated by mod_status, the
>> description of W is:
>>
>> "*|W|*" Sending Reply
>>
>> I thought that when in this state, the corresponding thread / proccess
>> was sending the reply to the client. From your reply if i understood
>> correctly seems that when using mod_proxy (and mod_jk right?) the W
>> state includes the time spent on sending the request and geting a reply
>> from the origin.
>>
>> Is this right?
>
> Yes, "W" is everything between having read the request and logging the
> request after having send the response. So especially it includes
> forwarding in proxy or mod_jk and waiting/reading the response from
> the origin server.
>
> You should add response duration logging to the httpd server access
> log (%D) and to the origin server log file, if you want to track the
> performance of the latter. mod_jk allows you to additionally log
> origin server response times as observed by the httpd web server in
> the httpd access log.

Indeed is one of the first things that i do (enable %D) when configuring
httpd / tomcat etc.
I asked because i expected that when a lot of apache workers are in the
"W" state it was dueto slow clients or DOS attacks.

> Regards,

Thanks for your reply,
Frederik

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.