Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> on 2006/11/20 19:54:13 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Preparing next-major

Hi all,

Norman and I made today an IM session to review current JIRA issue. We:
1. moved to "Trunk" every issue having an assignee and no fix version
2. moved to "Trunk" every issue assigned to "Next-Major" and that we
don't consider blocking for Trunk or we don't commit ourselves to fix soon.
3. created a list of issues we *could* work on before branching, but not
blocking for the branching purpose (see the bottom).

Please review the following issue list on JIRA:
Open issues for "Next-Major"
http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&fixfor=10427&pid=10411&resolution=-1
Fix for "Trunk"
http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&fixfor=12312135&pid=10411&resolution=-1
Undefined fix release
http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&fixfor=-1&pid=10411&resolution=-1

If you think something else *must* be included in next-major or *should*
be included or you're likely to work on some backward compatible
(storage and config.xml) issue please speak now :-)

We propose Dec 15 as the next checkpoint: that day we'll verify every
"new feature"/"improvement"-issue assigned to next-major is fixed and
we'll start a vote for branching and to define the release number or to
delay the branch creation to a later date.

Once the branch will be created improvements/new features will be
allowed only in RTC while fixes in trunk/branch in CTR.

Stefano

And here is the list of issues we'll optionally work on:
-------
Stefano
JAMES-491 SpoolManager refactorings
JAMES-520 Create a RemoteDelivery service
JAMES-134 Large emails in the spool cause SpoolManager to throw
OutOfMemoryError
JAMES-241 fail gracefully upon large messages/attachments
JAMES-288 memory efficient retrieval

Norman
JAMES-552 Clamav code should be moved to a "generic" class to use it on
mailet,matcher,messagehandler
JAMES-670 Per IP connection limiting is not configurable per service,
nor is the configuration logged during initialization.
JAMES-599 BeanShell Scripting in James

Re: [DISCUSSION] Preparing next-major

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

My plan for next James release is to continue work on Management and
Monitoring and to use and test IMAP. Maybe I get some optimization
stuff done, too.

  Bernd

Re: [DISCUSSION] Preparing next-major

Posted by Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini <vi...@praxis.it>.
It seems to be a reasonable set of choices.

I will try to have james-616 in time for the next checkpoint.

Vincenzo

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Norman,

CTR would suggest yes.

+1, this stuff probably does what it says it does, so if you took care
of all others concerns (if any), please commit.

I have only my usual boring micro-complaints about coding style (for
example if(xx == false) => if (!xx)) which does not justify to hold
you back and am under the impression that user/account handling is in
bad need of general revision/refactoring which is beyond the scope of
this JIRA.

  Bernd

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On 11/29/06, Norman Maurer <nm...@byteaction.de> wrote:
> Hi Bernd,
>
> sure i took care of all concerns if i hadn't i whould upload it :-P
>
> About the coding style.. You know coding style differ from commiter to
> commiter. But if thats all you are not happy with then im happy .

If you don't agree with my suggestions and did the things I complain
about with a purpose, please keep your style.

In my own code I try to align my style with the already existing code,
so the code looks consistent.

> And yes user/account handling is really in need of great refactoring.
> But i asspect that its impossible to do this till we dedicite to drop a
> non-backward-compatible release.

Right.

  Bernd

Re: [DISCUSSION] Preparing next-major