Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kemin Zhou <kz...@san.rr.com> on 2005/03/15 02:22:53 UTC

getting started

Dear Friends,

I am trying to get started with tomcat 5.5.7 which is the most stable
release.  I have spent a lot time on reading the documents.  Here I am
trying to get some pointer.  First let me introduce myself, I have a lot
of experience
using the RedHat linux.  Right now my system is RedHat 9.0.  I updated a
lot of things on this machine
such as Apache, Ant 1.6, JDK SE 1.5, gcc 3.3, gtk ....  So my
environment is bit recent.  My kernel is
2.4.20-8.

First question which is better, the source or the binary?  I could build
the tomcat easily by doing the simple
download of the build.xml into a directory.  At the shell

#ant
will build the whole tomcat system.  What do I do to go to the next
step: install the binaries into the proper
places in the system, such as /usr/local/tomcat?  I came from the
classical make tradition, where you simple

#make
#make install

Is there such a thing with ant?  Does anyone have any idea for the
location of documents or the sort concerning what to do after building
tomcat? I don't seem to see anything in the source directory?

On the binary download branch, I could follow the instruction from
tomcat web page.

Any comments or help is appreciated.

Kemin

Re: getting started

Posted by Antony Paul <an...@gmail.com>.
You can find Linux packages at JPackage.org.

--
rgds
Antony Paul