Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by Craig Burlock <cr...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/11 09:19:33 UTC

What to do about a HUGE Ivy cache?

Hello all,

Our Continuous Integration Environment's Ivy Cache is becoming huge... and
I mean HUGE.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Are there any recommended strategies for pruning or purging an Ivy cache?

Should we just delete everything and let it start again?

Any thoughts?

Re: What to do about a HUGE Ivy cache?

Posted by Roger <ro...@gmail.com>.
Just delete it and let it build up again. There's a good chance it has
old versions of stuff no longer used if it has been up a while.
Obviously it will slow down a bit until the cache is built up and if
you're pulling stuff from the net you just might find some stuff has
moved or gone away and your cache has the only copy. So the smart thing
is to point at a new empty cache, run it while you can still mine the
cache for stuff if you need to, then just delete the old cache.
I tend to clear out my cache fairly often with no downside.

Posted by Andreas Schläpfer <An...@crealogix.com>.
We did have the same issue as all the continuous integration builds are
installed in the local repository and (during resolve) appear in the cache.
As we anyway archive the builds we want to keep we have written a cron job
which regularly deletes all **own** modules in the local repository and
cache older than 90 days. This limits the size of the cache (and local
repository). It does of course not clean unused external modules, but as
they don't change frequently this is not an issue.