Posted to user@flume.apache.org by Jonathan <jo...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/24 16:53:45 UTC

Equivalent of tailDir for Windows Machines

I am trying to work out how Flume can monitor a folder on a Windows 2008
server and push any new files to the collector. I have found
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6753825/how-to-tail-a-named-pipe-to-flume-windows-node-flume-node-service
which
talks about how the tail function is not available, but I am not sure if
tailDir uses the same underlying structure as tail. Are there any other
options. We would like to find a solution that allows us to run flume with
as little overhead as possible, so we are trying to stay away from solutions
like using cygwin.

Thanks for you help
Jonathan

Re: Equivalent of tailDir for Windows Machines

Posted by Mike <mi...@gmail.com>.
There are other Tail tools for Windows:

http://tailforwin32.sourceforge.net/
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17657

No idea if they will work with flume.

Since Windows' command structure has moved towards PowerShell, I'd be
curious to see if flume-on-windows would support a "PowerShell Pipe"
or something like that.