Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Bjoern Hoeper <ho...@ltsoft.de> on 2019/04/08 08:19:08 UTC

Integration of other Languages / Daffodil Templating

Hi everyone,
I got in touch with Chris and Julian during the buildingIoT Conference in Cologne and I would like to participate in the further development of PLC4X. Our main interest is to extend PLC4X to make it usable with .NET / C#.

So after looking at the sources and the discussions in the mailing list I was wondering what would be the best move forward regarding the integration of other languages in general and the decoupling of the protocol definition from the actual API implementation in a particular language. As far as I understand the current status Apache Daffodil is  a candidate technology for generating the adapter code. But at the current moment Daffodil does not support templating of classes. Furthermore there are existing APIs for Java and Scala but no implementation for languages not executed on the JVM so we would need to have an implementation of the Daffodil APIs in every language we want to support in the future.
Are there any Ideas existing already about an Architecture to support languages besides Java? If not I would like to encourage a discussion about this topic because I think it will get quite fundamental as soon as the adoption of further languages gains some traction.
Best Regards
Björn

=================================
Dipl.-Ing. B. Höper
Geschäftsführer

LTSoft - Agentur für Leittechnik-Software GmbH
Veilchenweg 37a
51107 Köln

Telefon:   +49 (0) 221 - 79 00 35 31
Telefax:   +49 (0) 221 - 79 00 35 35