Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com> on 2011/10/05 11:09:10 UTC

[trinidad] cleanup

hi @ all,

there are still over 400 deprecations (via @Deprecated) and nearly 400 via
javadoc (not all of them overlap).
a lot of them are in for a long time and some of them were deprecated even
before [1].

however, some parts are still used and can't be removed.

imo we should do a cleanup or remove the deprecation hints.

regards,
gerhard

http://www.irian.at

Your JSF powerhouse -
JSF Consulting, Development and
Courses in English and German

Professional Support for Apache MyFaces

Re: [trinidad] cleanup

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
some implementations of old apis are already delegating to the corresponding
jsf2 apis.
however, there are still even >pre< jsf >1.x< classes in the impl. module.

imo we should think about a special backward compatibility module as an
alternative.

Re: [trinidad] cleanup

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.
Argh..  Now I'm getting iPhone-isms as well.. ;)

Sent from my iPhone

Re: [trinidad] cleanup

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.
Yes.. I'm totally +1 for doing this in impl..  :). I think it would greatly
slim down our code.  To a large extent, I think we've been a bit lazy in
getting rid of old api's..

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 5, 2011, at 7:39 AM, Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>
wrote:

most of the deprecated stuff is in the impl module. there are a lot of
deprecated classes.

Re: [trinidad] cleanup

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.

Re: [trinidad] cleanup

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.
Yes.  Cleaning up impl would be an excellent first step..

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 5, 2011, at 7:50 AM, Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>
wrote:

@max: basically +1

as mentioned before most of the stuff is in the impl. module. so we can even
start with the impl. module and announce the cleanup of the api in parallel
-> other libs have enough time to get rid of the old api calls,
implementations,... (or even better: they could join the effort)

Re: [trinidad] cleanup

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
@max: basically +1

Re: [trinidad] cleanup

Posted by Max Starets <ma...@oracle.com>.

Re: [trinidad] cleanup

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: [trinidad] cleanup

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.

Re: [trinidad] cleanup

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.
:D  Okay, I missed the >pre< jsf comment..  ;)  Totally good point.
That stuff has been around since incubation and migrating them over has
always been on the list of todo..  so yes again +1..

Scott

Re: [trinidad] cleanup

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.

Re: [trinidad] cleanup

Posted by Blake Sullivan <bl...@oracle.com>.

Re: [trinidad] cleanup

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: [trinidad] cleanup

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Re: [trinidad] cleanup

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.
We could, yes.  But we would force people to migrate apps which, perhaps
is not a bad thing but traditionally we've taken a full vote before
changing/removing API's in Trinidad because, doing so, incurs additional
cost on the other frameworks which are using Trinidad as a foundation.

Any company which provides Trinidad as a foundation for other framework
code (like Oracle's ADFFaces) benefits from NOT breaking users of the
framework every release and, frankly, I see a lot of value in keeping
them around 'if possible'.

Like I say, I'm not opposed to it, but I suppose I take more of a Java
ZEN approach to deprecation of API's.

Scott

On 10/05/2011 05:41 AM, Mark Struberg wrote:
> I'm not sure if I understand this correctly.
>
> Trinidad-2 is for JSF-2 upwards exclusively, isn't?
>
> If so, then we can easily get rid of all the old dust which just confuses people.
>
> Furthermore there seems to be a few compat problems with JSF-2 f:ajax which can only be resolved by carefully cleaning those areas up.
> Just leave behind the old stuff.
>

> LieGrue,
> strub
>
>> ________________________________

>>> gerhard

Re: [trinidad] cleanup

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Re: [trinidad] cleanup

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: [trinidad] cleanup

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.

Re: [trinidad] cleanup

Posted by Adam Furmanczuk <af...@knowtrek.com>.

Re: [trinidad] cleanup

Re: [trinidad] cleanup

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, so I got tied up with a demo.  I'm thinking of just excluding
the component showcase from the distribution, allowing it to be
manually built, but not distributed as an artifact.  WDYT?

Scott

Sent from my iPhone

Re: [trinidad] cleanup

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.