Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michael Osofsky <mo...@netbase.com> on 2009/03/20 19:44:57 UTC

job announcement - Software Architect

Software Architect
Location: Mountain View, CA

NetBase, a well-funded, fast growing company with an impressive roster
of top-tier Fortune 500 companies, seeks to grow its team with a
hands-on software architect.

NetBase delivers Content Intelligence solutions that harness value and
insight from any source, including the Internet, premium and enterprise
content.  NetBase reads every sentence inside documents, linguistically
understands the content and powers breakthrough search experiences with
relevant answers and insights.  NetBase is being used by organizations
that are recognized as global leaders in healthcare, publishing,
manufacturing, consumer packaged goods and government such as Elsevier,
Clorox, 3M, The U.S. Army, Pepsi and many more.

We seek a hands-on architect with extensive background in software
development to translate business objectives into a technology vision
and articulated architecture.  Candidates should have a strong track
record of designing and developing multi-tiered web applications that
are high quality, scalable, and reliable.  We prefer generalists who
have driven feature development at every layer of the stack.  We have a
strong preference for someone with expertise in text search engines such
as Lucene or FAST who have customized these systems and deployed them on
a large-scale.  Also preferred are candidates with experience in
applying NLP and Machine Learning to solving problems for Fortune 500
end-users.

Candidates should have excellent interpersonal skills and a track record
of increasing responsibility.  Those who are skilled in organizational
needs assessment and driving change via consensus will fit in well on
our team.  Candidates should be able to establish credibility quickly
and provide mentorship to team members.  We target talented individuals
who are resourceful, flexible, and aggressive about learning new things.

We are an Agile development shop.  We do test-driven design and rapid
iterative development and are looking for a like-minded architect to
help us build for the future.

Requirements:
* 10 years work experience with 3+ as an architect
* Experience in large-scale, distributed, web-based applications
* Agile development methodology
* Deep knowledge of Java
* MS or PhD in CS
* Database design and SQL (MySQL a plus)
* Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
* High degree of integrity and drive
* Expertise in Adobe Flex, Flash and Python are nice to have

Authorization to work in the US and relocation are required.

To apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter via email to
team@netbase.com with the subject of "Software Architect".

RE: job announcement - Software Architect

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
MG>questions/comments
Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
To the OP :
I know of only two people in the world who meet all the criteria you
expressed in your advertisement (*).  Unfortunately, they were working
for a US Fortune 500 financial company which has since been bailed out.
Consequently, they got their boni and are now happily retired in Florida
and not interested anymore. May I thus respectfully suggest that you
lower the barrier of entry somewhat, so that more of us could apply ?

(*) Mind you, they meet them together, not individually.

Re: job announcement - Software Architect

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.
> followed the link to Wikipedia (automatically assumed this is what he meant)
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test-driven_development

:: which includes in the initial description the line:
  "Note that test-driven development is a software design method, not
   merely a method of testing."

TDD/BDD as an iterative *design* process is one of those things that
I think you just have to try until you achieve that 'a-HA!' moment :-)

YMMV!

RE: job announcement - Software Architect

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
i googled 'TDD'
followed the link to Wikipedia (automatically assumed this is what he meant)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test-driven_development

*thanks for the clarification*
Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note
This message is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, we kindly ask you to  please inform the sender. Any unauthorised dissemination or copying hereof is prohibited. This message serves for information purposes only and shall not have any legally binding effect. Given that e-mails can easily be subject to manipulation, we can not accept any liability for the content provided.

> Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 16:38:29 +0100
> Subject: Re: job announcement - Software Architect
> From: rosenberg.leon@googlemail.com
> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
>
> On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Gregor Schneider
> <rc...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Martin,
> >
> > On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 9:50 PM, Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> test driven means if I create a component as a developer I need to install a JUnit testcase that will test the requisite function
> >>

> > Actually there's a bit more behind it.
> > Usually, you start to design an application starting with some
> > UseCases, Sequenz-Diagrams, Action-Diagrams, Class-Diagrams etc. So
> > basically you have a MDA (Modell Driven Architecture) reflecting /
> > incooperating *all* business-requirements (hopefully...)
> >
> > When Using TDD, all of that is left behind. The flow of activity is like
> > - analyse the problem / requirement
> > - write a test reflecting the requirement
> > - code something on which the test will not fail
>
> You are describing Test Driven DEVELOPMENT. The original post included
> Test Driven _DESIGN_.
>
> Since the main criticism of TDD usually goes into the lack of Design,
> I was really interested how they managed to come around this problem
> and probably came out with a new methodology.  Otherwise one have to
> assume that the OP was just using Buzzwords he found to sound cool
> without understanding what they actually mean.
>
> regards
> Leon
>
> Btw, what you were describing is the general OOD which doesn't imply a
> Model Driven Architecture (they invented UML before they trademarked
> MDD).

Internet Explorer 8 – Now Available. Faster, safer, easier.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/141323790/direct/01/

Re: job announcement - Software Architect

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <ro...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Gregor Schneider <rc...@googlemail.com>.
Martin,

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Frank W. Zammetti [mailto:fzlists@omnytex.com]
> Subject: Re: job announcement - Software Architect
>
> Err, that's "Rapid" or course.... dunno what "tapid" is :)

I took it as a combination of tepid and vapid...

 - Chuck

Re: job announcement - Software Architect

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Err, that's "Rapid" or course.... dunno what "tapid" is :)

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Author of "Practical Ext JS Projects with Gears" (coming soon)
  and "Practical Dojo Projects"
  and "Practical DWR 2 Projects"
  and "Practical JavaScript, DOM Scripting and Ajax Projects"
  and "Practical Ajax Projects with Java Technology"
  (For info: apress.com/book/search?searchterm=zammetti&act=search)
My "look ma, I have a blog too!" blog: zammetti.com/blog

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
test driven means if I create a component as a developer I need to install a JUnit testcase that will test the requisite function

Rapid Iterative Development means make as small a piece of functionality such as a component
and then add ancillary functions such as this project requirement

Project FuBar (core consists of mission criticial SNAFU module)
 --logging (using log4j and/or commons logging to log Project Fubars ability to achieve SNAFU)
 --security (encrypting username/password so admin privs are restricted to project fubar)

Harumph..
Martin
Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung / Disclaimer and confidentiality note

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <ro...@googlemail.com>.
not that i'm interested, but do you actually find people who have

> expertise in text search engines such
> as Lucene or FAST who have customized these systems and deployed them on
> a large-scale.  Also preferred are candidates with experience in
> applying NLP and Machine Learning to solving problems for Fortune 500
> end-users.

AND

> * Expertise in Adobe Flex, Flash and Python are nice to have

at the same time?

regards
Leon

P.S. on a very side note, what is "test-driven design" and "rapid
iterative development" ?