Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Alf Lacis <Al...@aiscientific.com> on 2006/03/22 07:58:58 UTC

Cannot commit files that I've renamed.

Hi,
I used Tortoise SVN to 'Tortoise Rename':
        move_long.c to srt_state_m.c, and
        move_long.h to srt_state_m.h

I then used Subversion from a cygwin|bash command line to check in my
eight subproject repository changes.  Some output, snipped to show
highlights, is shown below.

alacis@AIS-PC95 /cygdrive/d/firmware
$ ./svn_update.sh ; ./svn_commit.sh        <<<< this commits eight
subprojects
+ svn update
At revision 2247.
+ cd libs_all
+ svn update
<SNIP>
Sending        bcr.h
Sending        doxygen/Doxyfile
Adding  (bin)  doxygen/help.chm
Sending        global.h
Sending        main.c
Deleting       move_long.c                 <<<< this was Tortoise Renamed
to srt_state_m.c
Deleting       move_long.h                 <<<< this was Tortoise Renamed
to srt_state_m.h
Sending        parser_body_local.i
Sending        parser_head_local.h
Sending        parser_table_local.i
Sending        srt.hwp
Adding         srt_state_m.c                     <<<< commit failed on
this file.
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Couldn't determine absolute path of 'D:/CompanyData/ProjDev/svn/PSPS'
alacis@AIS-PC95 /cygdrive/d/firmware
$

I could only fix this by 'Tortoise Revert' on these two files, then
'Tortoise Deleting' them, and 'Tortoise Add'ing them.

Then doing a Subversion commit worked OK.

Should the original 'Tortoise Rename' have worked?
What should I do in the future?

Alf Lacis
Senior Software & Design Engineer
A.i. Scientific Pty Ltd
10-22 Hornibrook Esplanade
CLONTARF QLD 4019
AUSTRALIA
Ph: (+617 or 07) 3105 5087
www.aiscientific.com

Re: Cannot commit files that I've renamed.

Posted by Phillip Susi <ps...@cfl.rr.com>.
I believe the problem is because you are using cygwin.  Cygwin is a
nasty hack and causes problems like the one you are seeing, so if you
want to use tortoise you should get a mingw svn command line build, not
cygwin.  It looks like the problem is that tortoise is using windows
style path names, and cygwin uses unix style path names.  Instead of
doing the rename with tortoise, try doing it from the command line and
see if you can commit.

Posted by Steve Williams <st...@kromestudios.com>.
Alf Lacis wrote:

>Hi,
>I used Tortoise SVN to 'Tortoise Rename':
>        move_long.c to srt_state_m.c, and
>        move_long.h to srt_state_m.h
>
>I then used Subversion from a cygwin|bash command line to check in my
>eight subproject repository changes.  Some output, snipped to show
>highlights, is shown below.
>
>I could only fix this by 'Tortoise Revert' on these two files, then
>'Tortoise Deleting' them, and 'Tortoise Add'ing them.
>
>Then doing a Subversion commit worked OK.
>
>Should the original 'Tortoise Rename' have worked?
>What should I do in the future?

It may seem like an obvious answer, but I would use TortoiseSVN to
commit.  You've done everything else in TortoiseSVN except commit.

--
Sly

This message and its attachments may contain legally privileged or confidential information. This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you may not copy or deliver this message or its attachments to anyone. Rather, you should permanently delete this message and its attachments and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail. Any content of this message and its attachments, which does not relate to the official business of the sending company must be taken not to have been sent or endorsed by the sending company or any of its related entities. No warranty is made that the e-mail or attachment(s) are free from computer virus or other defect.

Re: Cannot commit files that I've renamed.

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.
Alf Lacis wrote:
> Hi,
> I used Tortoise SVN to 'Tortoise Rename':
>        move_long.c to srt_state_m.c, and
>        move_long.h to srt_state_m.h
>
> I then used Subversion from a cygwin|bash command line to check in my
> eight subproject repository changes.  Some output, snipped to show
> highlights, is shown below.
>
> alacis@AIS-PC95 /cygdrive/d/firmware
> $ ./svn_update.sh ; ./svn_commit.sh        <<<< this commits eight
> subprojects
> + svn update
> At revision 2247.
> + cd libs_all
> + svn update
> <SNIP>
> Sending        bcr.h
> Sending        doxygen/Doxyfile
> Adding  (bin)  doxygen/help.chm
> Sending        global.h
> Sending        main.c
> Deleting       move_long.c                 <<<< this was Tortoise
> Renamed to srt_state_m.c
> Deleting       move_long.h                 <<<< this was Tortoise
> Renamed to srt_state_m.h
> Sending        parser_body_local.i
> Sending        parser_head_local.h
> Sending        parser_table_local.i
> Sending        srt.hwp
> Adding         srt_state_m.c                     <<<< commit failed on
> this file.
> svn: Commit failed (details follow):
> svn: Couldn't determine absolute path of
> 'D:/CompanyData/ProjDev/svn/PSPS' alacis@AIS-PC95 /cygdrive/d/firmware
> $
>
> I could only fix this by 'Tortoise Revert' on these two files, then
> 'Tortoise Deleting' them, and 'Tortoise Add'ing them.
>
> Then doing a Subversion commit worked OK.
>
> Should the original 'Tortoise Rename' have worked?
> What should I do in the future?

I think the issue is that the path name in TortoiseSVN is something like
"D:\CompanyData\ProjDev\svn\PSPS", while the CygWin path is something like
"D:/CompanyData/ProjDev/svn/PSPS". The filename handling for CygWin is
always an issue, as is the handling of end-of-line characters.