Posted to user@struts.apache.org by brian papa <br...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/21 22:47:29 UTC

using tiles and setting a cookie

I'm having a problem setting a cookie inside of a Controller class.

My custom controller extends from the base Controller class. Inside of
my class, I'm simply trying to set a cookie to the
HttpServletResponse. Inside of a Strut Action class, it's been working
just fine. But in the controller, the response.addCookie method seems
to do nothing. Using a debugger I see no value change. No exception is
thrown and the application seems to progress as if nothing happened.

Any ideas? Did I forget to configure something? Is it a poor practice
to set a cookie in a Controller in the first place?

Re: using tiles and setting a cookie

Posted by brian papa <br...@gmail.com>.
Well it looks like I've found the cause of the problem.

The ServletResponse object passed into my Controller's execute is
wrapped inside of ServletResponseWrapperInclude, which wraps an
instance of org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationHttpResponse. In that
class, the addCookie() method is overidden and ignores any attempt to
change a header - in my case, a cookie.

Does anybody have any experience with this? Should I just move the
cookie setting into an action? Is this a problem I will only see in
Tomcat (since ApplicationHttpResponse is in a catalina package)? Is
there some kind of workaround?

Thanks again for all your help.

Posted by brian papa <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@pingsite.com>.

Posted by brian papa <br...@gmail.com>.
No, I'm not seeing an exception for that.

I'm starting to think now that perhaps I'm doing this in the wrong
place. After all the purpose of a controller should simply be to
prepare data for rendering in a JSP tile. I'm wondering though if this
is the case what the purpose is of having the HttpServletRequest as a
parameter to a Controller?

I'm now considering moving my database code into an action, and then
setting the cookie in there before handing off to a slimmed-down
controller.

Posted by brian papa <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by brian papa <br...@gmail.com>.