Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by "Lohman, Richard" <Ri...@cmegroup.com> on 2020/01/16 22:53:57 UTC

Valid Qpid Dispatcher Use Case?

Hi, all: I'm looking for a way to proxy AMQP messages. I ran across Qpid Dispatcher, and thought this might be a solution.

Environment:
We have an IBM MQ server on our internal network. We have a DMZ through which inbound/outbound must flow. Finally, there is an AMQP topic we would like to publish to on the outbound network.
Our application code can drop messages on a MQI queue. The internal MQ server has the ability to relay inbound messages from the MQI queue into a local AMQP topic.
Our preference is to minimize (read not perform) any changes to the business app that drops message to the MQI queue.

Goal:
I need to get the message from the internal MQ server out to a distant end. Since I can't think of a way to initiate a transfer of the message on the IBM side (AFAIK, one can't publish -out- of a topic), this implies that the proxy must pull the message off of the IBM MQ topic, then (in a new TCP session) publish the MQ message out to the distant end.

Is this a valid use case for Qpid Dispatcher?

Richard J. Lohman
Sr. Systems Engineer
MQ Support

________________________________
NOTICE: This message, and any attachments, are for the intended recipient(s) only, may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or proprietary and subject to important terms and conditions available at E-Communication Disclaimer<http://www.cmegroup.com/tools-information/communications/e-communication-disclaimer.html>. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message. CME Group and its subsidiaries reserve the right to monitor all email communications that occur on CME Group information systems.

Re: Valid Qpid Dispatcher Use Case?

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 16/01/2020 10:53 pm, Lohman, Richard wrote:
> Hi, all: I'm looking for a way to proxy AMQP messages. I ran across Qpid Dispatcher, and thought this might be a solution.
>
> Environment:
> We have an IBM MQ server on our internal network. We have a DMZ through which inbound/outbound must flow. Finally, there is an AMQP topic we would like to publish to on the outbound network.
> Our application code can drop messages on a MQI queue. The internal MQ server has the ability to relay inbound messages from the MQI queue into a local AMQP topic.
> Our preference is to minimize (read not perform) any changes to the business app that drops message to the MQI queue.
>
> Goal:
> I need to get the message from the internal MQ server out to a distant end. Since I can't think of a way to initiate a transfer of the message on the IBM side (AFAIK, one can't publish -out- of a topic), this implies that the proxy must pull the message off of the IBM MQ topic, then (in a new TCP session) publish the MQ message out to the distant end.
>
> Is this a valid use case for Qpid Dispatcher?

If I understand correctly the MQ Server relaying is all in process? If
so, then you can set up a router with a connector and autolink
configured to pull messages from an AMQP address on the MQ server, and
another connector and autolink to connect out to the outbound network
and send the message on to there (set the phase to 0 on both of them as
this is not a waypoint).

Ideally the address you pull from would be a subscription of some form,
so that if the connection is lost and re-established, it will not lose
messages. At present the autolink cannot be configured to include any
special information, just an address (which does not have to be the same
as the address used by the router network), so the subscription needs to
be configured on the broker side. (Alternatively can the message from
the MQI queue be relayed to an AMQP accessible queue rather than a topic?)

You can also have another router outside the DMZ and have the internal
router connected to that using mutual TLS, and then have the external
router do the forwarding if that offers any advantages.