Posted to dev@ibatis.apache.org by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/08 07:54:55 UTC

iBATIS Survey (10 Minutes)

Hi everyone,

I've put together a simple survey to help us set the direction for
future versions of iBATIS.

Please fill it out to ensure that iBATIS remains or becomes the
product you want.

It should only take 10 minutes to fill out.  The results are not
displayed, but I will publish a summary of them when I feel enough
results have been submitted.  So the faster you complete the survey,
the faster you'll get to see the results.

http://codehammer.org:81/survey/show/ibatis

Don't be shy about the email address requirement.  It is simply to
avoid spam, trolling etc.  This is not a 3rd party company running the
survey, "Codehammer" is me just me, so worry not.  We'll only use it
to validate against the list etc.

Best regards,

Clinton

Re: iBATIS Survey (10 Minutes)

Posted by Saeed Iqbal <sa...@gmail.com>.
done

Re: iBATIS Survey (10 Minutes)

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, that's great Gwyn.  I actually like the single page for speed (I
don't like clicking around all over the place).  The TOC fixes the
navigation problem.

We could break it up though if others feel the TOC is not enough.

Clinton

Re: iBATIS Survey (10 Minutes)

Posted by Gwyn Evans <gw...@gmail.com>.

Re: iBATIS Survey (10 Minutes)

Posted by Zoran Avtarovski <zo...@sparecreative.com>.
Great news on the metadata front. We're just starting on a DB reporting tool
and metadata support will make my life so much easier. Is this available via
subversion or is it yet to be committed?

With regards to the Wiki, can I suggest that the v3 page be broken out into
so that the main is only a summary and then link out to separate pages for
the detail of each suggested feature. I found the current structure quite
large and overwhelming. It was difficult to easily digest and the feedback
at the bottom is unmanageable difficult to follow.

I suggest it because I think iBatis has reached a level of maturity and use
that canvassing a broad range of opinions on planned/suggested features will
help provide direction.

Z.

Re: iBATIS Survey (10 Minutes)

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.

Re: iBATIS Survey (10 Minutes)

Posted by Brandon Goodin <br...@gmail.com>.
Point taken. We apologize if this causes you distress. But, we have attained
the data that we wanted. We all feel the need for all the features we can
get and we will certainly not leave out key features. I'm sure your concerns
will be addressed as we dig into the next generation iBATIS.

Thanks,
Brandon Goodin

Re: iBATIS Survey (10 Minutes)

Posted by Gwyn Evans <gw...@gmail.com>.

Re: iBATIS Survey (10 Minutes)

Re: iBATIS Survey (10 Minutes)

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.
Exactly.  The random selection is more meaningful than a multiple selection.

But I really have a hard time believing that there's NO primary for
each of those categories.

For example:  I can easily check every box on that survey (except
maybe the web frameworks and IDE).  But I know I mostly use iBATIS
with Java, I mostly use SQL Server and I mostly use IntelliJ IDEA.
I'll keep the rest of the more opinion based answers to myself, but
although I use and value almost everything on that list, I can select
which are the most important to me -- even if only marginally.

Clinton

Re: DB Connection

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.
Both DBCP and SimpleDataSource -- and any other DataSource impl worth
its salt support "ping queries" or "connection validators".  So yes,
absolutely.

Which datasource are you using?

Clinton

DB Connection

Re: implicit parameter map and Integer

Posted by Jeff Butler <je...@gmail.com>.
You need to specify the JDBC type in the implicit parameter map like this:

insert into foo (bar) values(#bar:INTEGER#)

See the section entitled "Inline Parameter Map Syntax" in the developer's
guide.

Jeff Butler

Re: Caching frameworks (was Re: iBATIS Survey (10 Minutes))

Posted by Gwyn Evans <gw...@gmail.com>.
On Tuesday, July 10, 2007, 5:38:22 PM, Clinton <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> iBATIS 3.0 will change the approach we take to plugins.  We'll
> probably host plugins somewhere else and open up the access to the
> code more than the core.

We did that with the Wicket-stuff[*] companion project, which seems to
be working fine.  Having it as a separate SF project means that it
doesn't restrict it to using only ASF-compatible libraries, too.

/Gwyn

[*] http://sourceforge.net/projects/wicket-stuff/
or http://wicketstuff.org/confluence/display/STUFFWEB/Home

Re: Caching frameworks (was Re: iBATIS Survey (10 Minutes))

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.
It's pluggable anyway, so we don't need to choose!  :-)

Posted by Gwyn Evans <gw...@gmail.com>.

Re: iBATIS Survey (10 Minutes)

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.

Re: iBATIS Survey (10 Minutes)

Re: iBATIS Survey (10 Minutes)

Posted by Rusty Wright <ru...@berkeley.edu>.
Clinton Begin wrote:
> Worry not ...
Spoilsport!

--
Rusty Wright
UC Berkeley

Re: iBATIS Survey (10 Minutes)

Posted by Gwyn Evans <gw...@gmail.com>.

Re: iBATIS Survey (10 Minutes)

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.

Re: iBATIS Survey (10 Minutes)

Posted by Gwyn Evans <gw...@gmail.com>.
Hmm, not sure I really agree with you there - having done the survey,
there were a number of questions where having to choose just 1 item
felt as misleading as choosing all would have been.

The correct answers would have been a few of the items.  You may
believe that one always stands out, but certainly with my answers,
there are answers where you will see an answer as 'b', for example,
but in reality, it could have been 'b','c' or 'd' but not 'a' or 'e'.
There's information being lost there!

/Gwyn

On Monday, July 9, 2007, 2:42:38 PM, Clinton <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For everyone looking for multiple checkboxes, even though the survey
> software supports it, it will be hard for us to draw conclusions if
> everyone selects everything.  :-)

> So when answering tough questions where you would normally want to
> pick multiple choices, it's important that you pick the "primary" or
> "most important" one....

> Even though multiple choices apply, one always stands out.  If it
> doesn't, then you basically cancel out the survey option and you might
> as well randomly choose one (because it would still have more meaning
> than choosing multiples).

> Cheers,
> Clinton

> On 7/7/07, Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I've put together a simple survey to help us set the direction for
>> future versions of iBATIS.
>>
>> Please fill it out to ensure that iBATIS remains or becomes the
>> product you want.
>>
>> It should only take 10 minutes to fill out.  The results are not
>> displayed, but I will publish a summary of them when I feel enough
>> results have been submitted.  So the faster you complete the survey,
>> the faster you'll get to see the results.
>>
>> http://codehammer.org:81/survey/show/ibatis
>>
>> Don't be shy about the email address requirement.  It is simply to
>> avoid spam, trolling etc.  This is not a 3rd party company running the
>> survey, "Codehammer" is me just me, so worry not.  We'll only use it
>> to validate against the list etc.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Clinton

/Gwyn

Re: iBATIS Survey (10 Minutes)

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.
Another common question:  Why are the last few questions so Java centric?

Well....for web frameworks...you're looking at ASP.NET.  Having been a
.NET dev for about 2 years, I can't even name another one.  I should
have added WinForms though, because a lot of people are using web
services fronted by rich clients.  My apologies.  However, the
persistence architecture likely wouldn't change much whether it was
web services fronted by WinForms or ASP.NET.  Comments welcome.

For persistence frameworks I should have added LINQ to SQL, LINQ to
Entities and plain old ADO.NET.  My apologies.  We'll do a quick
followup survey for that.  However Hibernate is available for .NET, so
if that is your primary alternative, please choose that one.

For IDEs...well, let's be honest.  The survey would come out about 99%
in favor of VS.NET.   ;-)

For DAO...I can't name another abstraction layer for .NET...comments welcome.

Sorry for the confusion and Java centric questions.  Like I say, any
ambiguous answers will be followed up by another survey (probably just
a few questions in these specific areas).

Best regards,
Clinton

Re: iBATIS Survey (10 Minutes)

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.

Re: iBATIS Survey (10 Minutes)

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.

Re: iBATIS Survey (10 Minutes)

Posted by Larry Meadors <lm...@apache.org>.
Just one more step on the way to total global domination...nothing major. ;-)

Larry

Re: iBATIS Survey (10 Minutes)

Posted by ITVGuy2000 <hh...@pobox.com>.

Re: iBATIS Survey (10 Minutes)

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.

Re: R: iBATIS Survey (10 Minutes)

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.
Unfortunately I'm running it on a very crippled VPS, Apache doesn't
even have mod_proxy installed....ARRGH!  (people don't use WestHost,
they're horrible).

If you can fill it out from home, that would be great.

Clinton

Re: iBATIS Survey (10 Minutes)

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hopefully not many.  You must have a computer at home though..... ;-)

Clinton

R: iBATIS Survey (10 Minutes)

RE: iBATIS Survey (10 Minutes)

Posted by Jason Finch <jf...@emergency.qld.gov.au>.