Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> on 2014/05/01 05:50:06 UTC

[VOTE] The 1st HBase 0.98.2 release candidate (RC0) is available

The 1st HBase 0.98.2 release candidate (RC0) is available for download at
http://people.apache.org/~apurtell/0.98.2RC0/ and Maven artifacts are also
available in the temporary repository
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehbase-1020 .

Signed with my code signing key D5365CCD.

The issues resolved in this release can be found here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310753&version=12326505

Please try out the candidate and vote +1/-1 by midnight Pacific Time (00:00
-0800 GMT) on May 7 on whether or not we should release this as 0.98.2.

--
Best regards,

​    - Andy​
​

(via Tom White)

Re: [VOTE] The 1st HBase 0.98.2 release candidate (RC0) is available

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
Hi St.Ack,

Can you please share the command you use to run HLogPE? I have not been
able to get it works with 0.98.

Thanks,

JM

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Thanks Cos!

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
Andrew,  you are already doing a good job! Simply continue your good job
and all the amazing work you are doing for all of us.

JM

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by ramkrishna vasudevan <ra...@gmail.com>.
Downloaded the srcs built the tar ball and ran tests and did some testing
from that mainly with visibility.
Compaction, scanning etc.  All seemed fine with me.

Very belated +1 from me too.

Regards
Ram

Posted by ramkrishna vasudevan <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anoop John <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Fw: [VOTE] The 1st HBase 0.98.2 release candidate (RC0) is available

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.
Here is my late +1 for the release.

 - Checked checksums
 - Checked gpg signature (gpg --verify )
 - Checked included documentation book.html, etc.
 - Running unit tests
 - Started in local mode, run LoadTestTool
 - checked hadoop libs in h1 / h2
 - build src with both hadoop 1 and 2
 - checked directory layouts
 - run local cluster
 - run smoke tests with shell on the artifacts
 - run tests locally on binaries
  -- bin/hbase org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.LoadTestTool -write 10:10:100
-num_keys 1000000 -read 100:30

Enis

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.

Posted by Anoop John <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

On May 12, 2014 5:19:35 PM PDT, lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org> wrote:
>Resending... Looks like first attempt did not go through (still Apache
>email issues?).

+1

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.
Resending... Looks like first attempt did not go through (still Apache email issues?).

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
I will do some validation on the RC this afternoon.

Cheers

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
I do accept responsibility that the release vote was not well timed with
HBaseCon in the mix, and then the Apache email outage. The decision to
resign is still the right one for messing up.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
Hey Andrew,

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
Hey Andrew,

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
Thanks J-M. I am sorry. Apache ate some of my email during the voting period. Thanks for testing the RC!

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
Hi Andrew,

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Here is my belated +1:

checked signature
ran test suite - passed, see bottom of email
pointed Phoenix at 0.98.2-hadoop2 and ran tests - passed

---------
[INFO] HBase ............................................. SUCCESS [1.565s]
[INFO] HBase - Common .................................... SUCCESS [20.411s]
[INFO] HBase - Protocol .................................. SUCCESS [0.283s]
[INFO] HBase - Client .................................... SUCCESS [36.040s]
[INFO] HBase - Hadoop Compatibility ...................... SUCCESS [5.107s]
[INFO] HBase - Hadoop Two Compatibility .................. SUCCESS [1.293s]
[INFO] HBase - Prefix Tree ............................... SUCCESS [2.525s]
[INFO] HBase - Server .................................... SUCCESS
[1:06:37.818s]
[INFO] HBase - Testing Util .............................. SUCCESS [1.120s]
[INFO] HBase - Thrift .................................... SUCCESS
[2:01.629s]
[INFO] HBase - Shell ..................................... SUCCESS
[1:46.684s]
[INFO] HBase - Integration Tests ......................... SUCCESS [0.897s]
[INFO] HBase - Examples .................................. SUCCESS [5.439s]
[INFO] HBase - Assembly .................................. SUCCESS [0.882s]
[INFO]
[INFO] BUILD SUCCESS
[INFO]
[INFO] Total time: 1:11:42.320s
[INFO] Finished at: Mon May 12 23:19:38 UTC 2014

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Here is my belated +1:

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 12:37 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> wrote:

> BIGTOP-1302

​Ouch. See the comment I left on that issue. I could look into that for you
if you are amenable.​

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Unleashing the bada$$ ;)

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Unleashing the bada$$ ;)

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Unleashing the bada$$ ;)

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Do your worst! :-)

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Do your worst! :-)

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Do your worst! :-)

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
tl.tr: +1

Imported 1TB from 0.94 to 0.98. Did the ckeck and the excute. Went well.
However I will recommend to add the check of the compaction algo. I have
imported tables with Snappy on a non snappy configured cluster. -check
reported well, -excute too, however starting HBase failed because snappy
was not installed. After snappy installation everything went well but had
to dig the logs to understand it was coming from there.

Ran all the tests (from the source/tag and not from the jars), passed. Got
some expections some time but not sure they are related:
Tests run: 8, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 28.095 sec
org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.SurefireBooterForkException: Error
occurred in starting fork, check output in log
    at
org.apache.maven.plugin.surefire.booterclient.ForkStarter.fork(ForkStarter.java:238)
    at
org.apache.maven.plugin.surefire.booterclient.ForkStarter.access$000(ForkStarter.java:64)
    at
org.apache.maven.plugin.surefire.booterclient.ForkStarter$ParallelFork.call(ForkStarter.java:303)
    at
org.apache.maven.plugin.surefire.booterclient.ForkStarter$ParallelFork.call(ForkStarter.java:285)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:334)
    at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1146)
    at
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:679)
No results for java.util.concurrent.FutureTask@5483e4e8
Running org.apache.hadoop.hbase.mapreduce.TestTimeRangeMapRed

Ran IntegrationTestLoadAndVerify, failed, like it fails in 0.94...
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.test.IntegrationTestLoadAndVerify failed with
REFERENCES_CHECKED=9855510

Ran IntegrationTestBigLinkedList, passed.
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.test.IntegrationTestBigLinkedList$Verify$Counts
REFERENCED=6000000

HLogPerformanceEvaluation seems to not be working anymore. Not a show
stopper, did not tried in 0.98.1

Was not able to run the integration tests because I don't have enough nodes
on my 0.98 cluster :(

Performance wise it's good. PE results are below. Not including multigets
yet.

0.94.19 0.98.10.98.2 FilteredScanTest0,23 0,270,25 RandomReadTest825 1 105
1 107 RandomSeekScanTest178 211201 RandomScanWithRange10Test286
277277RandomScanWithRange100Test
147 163161 RandomScanWithRange1000Test39,40 49,6350 SequentialReadTest1 2251 404
1 392 SequentialWriteTest13 826 19 64019 455 RandomWriteTest13 574 19 812
19 708 GaussianRandomReadBenchmark9 395 10 75510 777 SequentialReadBenchmark
3 009 210 3 327 4153 335 239 SequentialWriteBenchmark909 579 828
264833 654UniformRandomReadBenchmark
10 354 11 73811 762 UniformRandomSmallScan233 931 277 707277 850
Ran some manual actions in the shell (create, flush, compact, alter, put,
get, etc.) all passed.
checked the signatures, the docmentation, the CHANGES.txt, all passed.
Checked hbck and logs from time to time, all passed too.

So I will say it's +1 for me.
The things we might want to look at:
- HLogPerformanceEvaluation not working.
- IntegrationTestLoadAndVerify not giving the right result.
- Add compression test in upgrade -check

JM

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.