Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Saimon Moore <sa...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2001/10/24 02:22:41 UTC

distributed web apps! Where does Turbine fit in?

I know that these days J2EE is all the rage  when creating distributed
enterprise scale applications.
I also sense that there is a certain 'non-affinity' to J2EE expressed by
certain members of this list.

I'd like to know what is it about J2EE that puts some people off? Are there
alternatives? (Jini & JavaSpaces ??) Pros and cons? How does Turbine /Torque
scale up? Distributed Turbine? (Should Turbine be combined with J2EE to
create distributed apps or are there other options?).

I'm starting off a new personal project in which will definetly not be
distributed. Turbine will handle the load no probs, however I'm also
investigating the use of Turbine to handle large loads for work.
 My first thought was to combine Turbine with J2EE (I've tested Turbine with
JBoss and they work well) but given the doubts some people here in jakarta
land have about J2EE I was wondering what other solutions are possible. I've
also looked into using Jini. (I was browsing the serverside.com bulletinboard
and came upon a lovely thread were two 'experts' were flaming each other over
the pros and cons of EJB's and Jini for distributed applications. Very
interesting...I think it was in the j2EE patterns section)

I'm trying to make head and tails out of all of this and trying to fit
Turbine into the picture.

Any views on this?

(P.S.The last time I mentioned J2EE things went a bit silent ;) )

Saimon....

Re: distributed web apps! Where does Turbine fit in?

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Saimon Moore <sa...@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> I'd like to know what is it about J2EE that puts some people off? Are there
> alternatives? (Jini & JavaSpaces ??) Pros and cons? How does Turbine /Torque
> scale up? Distributed Turbine? (Should Turbine be combined with J2EE to
> create distributed apps or are there other options?).

You can think of JavaSpaces as a kind of "distributed database"-- it
is a much more appropriate technology than JINI for distributed web
apps.

> I'm starting off a new personal project in which will definetly not be
> distributed. Turbine will handle the load no probs, however I'm also
> investigating the use of Turbine to handle large loads for work.
>  My first thought was to combine Turbine with J2EE (I've tested Turbine with
> JBoss and they work well) but given the doubts some people here in jakarta
> land have about J2EE I was wondering what other solutions are possible. I've
> also looked into using Jini. (I was browsing the serverside.com bulletinboard
> and came upon a lovely thread were two 'experts' were flaming each other over
> the pros and cons of EJB's and Jini for distributed applications. Very
> interesting...I think it was in the j2EE patterns section)

The other response to your message summed J2EE and EJB up nicely.  EJB
is overkill in the common case, but has its uses for large n-tier
projects (especially those w/ more than one client).