Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Edouard De Oliveira <do...@yahoo.fr> on 2008/11/06 16:44:44 UTC

Re : poll VmPipe

Don't know the code underneath VmPipe but is it possible to quickly rewrite it using blocking queues thus using new JDK abilities and reducing the codebase as seems to suggest Emm ?

Kind of mixed approach to please everyone :)

 Cordialement, Regards,
-Edouard De Oliveira-
http://tedorg.free.fr/en/main.php

________________________________
De : Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>
À : dev@mina.apache.org
Envoyé le : Jeudi, 6 Novembre 2008, 16h34mn 20s
Objet : Re: poll VmPipe

Dan Creswell wrote:
> Hmmm, if VmPipe is done right it should allow me to build an app/service on
> top of MINA that can easily be tested all inside of a single JVM (good for
> unit testing amongst other things) or deployed fully networked with minimum
> code disruption.

Well, if you just use VmPipe to unit test your deployed networked development, then I think that the potential improvement you may gain from avoiding an encoding/decoding call is irrelevant. More than that, I would expect my unit test to behave as the real program works, ie using the sockets instead of a fake communication inside the JVM.

AFAIR, the base idea was to eliminate the need to use sockets to exchange data between two threads in the same JVM. Blocking queues are ok for such purpose those days, no ?

-- --
cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Re : poll VmPipe

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Julien Vermillard wrote:
>> Kind of mixed approach to please everyone :)
>>

> Good idea, but does it's really hurting anyone to delete the whole
> thing ? :)

I bet you posted your initial mail to know if anyone will be hurt ;)

PS : trying to please everyone is the best way to please no one ...

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Re : poll VmPipe

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@archean.fr>.

Re: Re : poll VmPipe

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Edouard De Oliveira wrote:
> Don't know the code underneath VmPipe but is it possible to quickly rewrite it using blocking queues thus using new JDK abilities and reducing the codebase as seems to suggest Emm ?

That's a pretty good idea ! We have the Tennis sample, it would be
worthly to rewrite it using queues to see what it brings (and it was
Julien's idea, btw)

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com