Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Krishna Kishore .J" <jk...@ceiindia.com> on 2005/06/04 08:26:16 UTC

Help Regarding converting xml to pdf and populate the pdf

Hi All,

 I am new to FOP. I want to know whether there is a way using FOP to convert
the
pdf form templates in .xdp format to pdf form, populate the form fields and
generate a final pdf with the populated form fields.

Thanks in advance
Krishna Kishore

Re: Help Regarding converting xml to pdf and populate the pdf

Posted by The Web Maestro <th...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 3, 2005, at 11:26 PM, Krishna Kishore .J wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>  I am new to FOP. I want to know whether there is a way using FOP to
> convert
> the pdf form templates in .xdp format to pdf form, populate the form
> fields and
> generate a final pdf with the populated form fields.

To my knowledge, FOP is not currently capable of creating PDF form
fields. It may be possible to post-process the FOP's PDF output using a
tool like iText (see [1] for more tools). If .xdp contains the semantic
information which has become standard in .xml files (where tags
describe information as opposed to layout), then it may be possible to
transform .xdp files. However, it may make more sense to use the source
files used to generate the .xdp files (if they .xdp files are
transformed from some source--see [2] for some possibly related info).

[1] FOP Resources
http://xml.apache.org/fop/resources.html

[2] Converting XHTML to PDF
http://xml.apache.org/fop/faq.html#xhtml-to-pdf