Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Fred Yeomans <fy...@whitehilltech.com> on 2002/01/23 16:02:47 UTC

Visibility of assembly.xml in deployed applications

Folks,

Some time back when I first started looking at Phoenix, the assembly.xml
file was visible after a SAR was deployed. After the deployment file
structure was changed, however, this ceased to be the case. I am curious as
to the reasons behind this?

The reason I ask is that my application consists of a number of blocks which
communicate either directly, via RMI, or via JMS message queues. This allows
the blocks to reside in the same or different JVMs, or on different
machines. The JMS interface is implemented by blocks which serve as proxies,
making it so that a client block does not need to know whether it is talking
directly to the server block, or to the JMS queue. I was able to change the
deployment structure without "redeploying" by editing the assembly.xml file.

Thx

Fred Yeomans
Whitehill Technologies - Business Information Transformed and Delivered
http://www.whitehilltech.com
+1.506.855.0005

Re: Visibility of assembly.xml in deployed applications

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 26 Jan 2002 12:08, Leif Mortenson wrote:
> Peter Donald wrote:
> > I have reverted this to the old behaviour and it will now extract
> > assembly.xml. The original reason for not extracting it was because we
> > wanted to try out an experimental idea that would not extract SARs at all
> > if not needed.
>
> Does Phoenix support running without extracting sar files?  I was about
> to ask about that. :-)

It doesn't atm ... hopefully it will one day ;) We tried to do it by
installing protocol handlers and loading classes through them but
unfortunately that didn't work out quite as well as hoped.

I had a look at a few different projects to see how they did it. All of them
basically extract the embedded jars to a temporary file on the filesystem
there and then load the classes from that. For instance I believe one of the
Tomcats - not sure which creates a directory like

$TOMCAT_HOME/work/myWebApp

to store extracted jars and so forth and that seems to mostly work. We should
probably do that eventually. Feel free to have a go if you want ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: Visibility of assembly.xml in deployed applications

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@silveregg.co.jp>.
Peter Donald wrote:

> I have reverted this to the old behaviour and it will now extract
> assembly.xml. The original reason for not extracting it was because we wanted
> to try out an experimental idea that would not extract SARs at all if not
> needed.

Does Phoenix support running without extracting sar files?  I was about
to ask about that. :-)

Cheers,
Leif

Re: Visibility of assembly.xml in deployed applications

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 24 Jan 2002 02:02, Fred Yeomans wrote:
> Some time back when I first started looking at Phoenix, the assembly.xml
> file was visible after a SAR was deployed. After the deployment file
> structure was changed, however, this ceased to be the case. I am curious as
> to the reasons behind this?
>
> The reason I ask is that my application consists of a number of blocks
> which communicate either directly, via RMI, or via JMS message queues. This
> allows the blocks to reside in the same or different JVMs, or on different
> machines. The JMS interface is implemented by blocks which serve as
> proxies, making it so that a client block does not need to know whether it
> is talking directly to the server block, or to the JMS queue. I was able to
> change the deployment structure without "redeploying" by editing the
> assembly.xml file.

I have reverted this to the old behaviour and it will now extract
assembly.xml. The original reason for not extracting it was because we wanted
to try out an experimental idea that would not extract SARs at all if not
needed.

So you should grab a nightly build or download from CVS to get this
functionality again.

--
Cheers,

Pete