Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by "Turkel, David" <dt...@acumensolutions.com> on 2008/08/22 01:01:36 UTC

Number of User Settings for Remote Testing

I apologize for what seems like a simple question, but I cannot find a
definitive answer in the documentation or online:

If I'm executing tests across N clients, how is the number of
threads/users setup in a thread group used?

Is it cumulative, meaning the number of users will the total across all
N clients, or will it be a number of threads/users on each client?

For example, if I have 2 clients and set my number of threads/users to
be "10" will I end up running with 10 or 20 total threads/users.

My assumption was that it would be 20 (10 per client).

Thanks,

Dave

Re: Number of User Settings for Remote Testing

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 22/08/2008, Turkel, David <dt...@acumensolutions.com> wrote:
> I apologize for what seems like a simple question, but I cannot find a
>  definitive answer in the documentation or online:
>

>  If I'm executing tests across N clients, how is the number of
>  threads/users setup in a thread group used?
>

>  Is it cumulative, meaning the number of users will the total across all
>  N clients, or will it be a number of threads/users on each client?
>

>  For example, if I have 2 clients and set my number of threads/users to
>  be "10" will I end up running with 10 or 20 total threads/users.
>

>  My assumption was that it would be 20 (10 per client).

In client-server (remote) mode, the test plan is sent to every server,
and each server executes the test plan.

So if the test plan has 10 threads, and the client JMeter sends the
test to 2 servers, then there will be 10 * 2 = 20 threads in total.