Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Christoph Zwerschke <ci...@online.de> on 2005/07/27 22:20:33 UTC

Blanks in PuTTY session names

Hi all,

I'm using TortoiseSVN under Windows XP and found a problem that seems to
be a SVN issue that has nothing to do with Tortoise.

I have installed PuTTY 0.58 in c:\programs\putty and
created a putty session named "mysession" and
duplicate that session with the name "my session"
(please note the space in the putty session name!).

Then I type on the commandline:
set SVN_SSH=c:/programs/putty/plink.exe -pw mypassword
svn list "svn+ssh://mysession/svnroot/repos/myproject"
This works fine. Now I type
svn list "svn+ssh://my session/svnroot/repos/myproject"
When I use svn as of svn-win32-1.1.4.zip, this works fine, too.
But when I use the latest version svn-win32-1.2.1.zip,
the last command (with the blank in the session name) fails.
It seems that svn now translates the putty session name to
my%20session, and such a putty session does not exist.
When I rename "my session" to "my%20session" in putty,
everthing works again just fine.

I think this is a bug somewhere in SVN.
PuTTY session names should not be encoded.

-- Christoph

Re: Blanks in PuTTY session names

Posted by Christoph Zwerschke <ci...@online.de>.
Eric Hanchrow wrote:
 > I'd be surprised if this gets fixed -- I doubt there's any way that
 > subversion can tell that "my session" is, in fact, the name of a PuTTY
 > session, as opposed to the name of a host.

You're right, SVN cannot know whether it is a PuTTY session or a
hostname, but that's irrelevant, because:

First, it doesn't make sense to encode blanks in hostnames either,
because hostnames (domain names) cannot contain blanks or other
characters that need encoding anyway. Even an IDNA domain name cannot
contain blanks.

Second, no matter whether a hostname could contain characters that need
to be URL-encoded, the ssh client expects just a hostname, not a URL.
Therefore the hostname should be passed from svn to the ssh client not
in an URL-encoded form, but just as it is.

-- Christoph