Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Jonathan Heard <jo...@qassociates.co.uk> on 2015/10/29 11:00:38 UTC

Errors during "make -k check" .

Hi All,
   I've managed to get my Linux Mint (debian) environment configured to build thrift.
All the core prerequisite packages in doc/install/debian.md have been installed and configure elects to build C++, Java, Python and CSharp.
The actual built using 'make' is successful, and I can also run 'make cross' successfully (although all csharp-java tests involving SSL are failing).

However, if I run 'make -k -check' it seems to end in failure. I must admit that I'm not familiar with interpreting the output of this target but according to the instructions: "If a single language fails, the make check will continue on and provide a synopsis at the end." This is not happening. Instead, it ends with:
make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
make: Target `check' not remade because of errors.

(Full output attached).

Looking through the output, I see lots of failure relating to Boost libraries - e.g.

libtool: link: g++ -Wall -Wextra -pedantic -g -O2 -std=c++11 -o .libs/TPipedTransportTest TPipedTransportTest.o TPipeInterruptTest.o  -L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu ./.libs/libtestgencpp.a /home/jonathan/Source_Code/thrift/lib/cpp/.libs/libthrift.so ../../../lib/cpp/.libs/libthrift.so /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_unit_test_framework.a /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_system.a /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_thread.a -lssl -lcrypto -lrt -lpthread -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/home/jonathan/Source_Code/opt/lib
g++: error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_unit_test_framework.a: No such file or directory
g++: error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_system.a: No such file or directory
g++: error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_thread.a: No such file or directory

What worries me is that all those files 100% do exist at the quoted path!

Likewise, there are a load of errors that "#include <event.h>" couldn't find event.h, but /usr/include/event.h is present on my system.

Can anyone shed any light on what failures I need to focus on here please?

Many Thanks
Jonathan

This message includes information that we consider will be prejudicial to our commercial interests if it is disclosed. If, pursuant to the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (or any subordinate legislation or codes of practice), you receive any request to disclose and/or intend to disclose all or any of the Information you agree that you will consult with us before disclosing any such Information. In so consulting you will act reasonably and in good faith and will duly consider any representations we may make relating to the proposed disclosure or otherwise of such Information.

The information transmitted by this email is confidential and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If you are neither an intended recipient nor an employee or agent responsible for delivery to the intended recipient, you should be aware that any unauthorised review, use, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this message in error please immediately contact the sender by return email and delete the original message and destroy all copies thereof.

Q Associates has taken every reasonable precaution to ensure that any attachment to this email has been checked for software viruses however the company cannot accept liability for any damages sustained as a result of a virus and would advise that you carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.

Re: Errors during "make -k check" .

Posted by Jens Geyer <je...@hotmail.com>.
May be related (we have some more of these)

For my part, I ended up with building the needed parts of boost from source. Not that I liked it, but it solved the issue for me for now. There are a lot of C++ experts around who should be able to address that whole issue with static vs. dynamic libs much better than I could.

HTH,
JensG