Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Christian Kreutz <sc...@gmx.de> on 2004/02/21 02:18:08 UTC

Default Publication with PDF

Hi list,

I wanted to offer the possibility to transform
xhtml files in pdf for the default publication.
Thanks to the antenna house I could solve this
task very fast.
On that page you can find a zip archive with
a comprehensive XSL-FO file: xhtml2fo.xsl
http://www.antennahouse.com/XSLsample/XSLsample.htm
 which i put to default/xslt directory.
It offers the transformation of all important xhtml tags
to xsl-fo and is easily changeable. On top to it has
the title as page header and the number of pages included.

I included this to the public-sitemap.xmap:

 <map:match pattern="**.pdf">
                <map:generate src="content/{1}/index_de.xml"/>
                <map:transform src="xslt/doc2pdf.xsl"/>
                <map:serialize type="fo2pdf"/>
            </map:match>

and the result is a generated pdf file by just change
the html to pdf in the browser url.

I love Cocoon and Lenya!!! :-)

Good Night

Christian

Re: Default Publication with PDF

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Christian Kreutz wrote:

>Hi list,
>
>I wanted to offer the possibility to transform
>xhtml files in pdf for the default publication.
>Thanks to the antenna house I could solve this
>task very fast.

cool. Can you add an entry to Bugzilla (or have you already done so)?

>I love Cocoon and Lenya!!! :-)

:-)

Michi

>Good Night
>
>Christian

Michael Wechner

RE: Default Publication with PDF

Posted by Ethan Schroeder <et...@netnet.net>.
I can't get it to work at all.  Acroread gives an error about no pages
in the pdf document.  Too bad.  This would have been cool.

Ethan

have you ever test it with tables? I tried it with several tables, but I
only
get an empty pdf. I don't know why. Perhaps you can help?

greetz
Manuel

Posted by Manuel Siebeneicher <tr...@gmx.net>.
Hi Christian,

Re: AW: Default Publication with PDF

Posted by Wolfgang Weigel <wo...@web.de>.
Christian Kreutz <schreibchris <at> gmx.de> writes:

> > Wolfgang Weigel wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > > I tried to do the same described above. I installed the stylesheet and I
> > also
> > > modified the publication-sitemap.xmap with the following lines:
> > >
> > >  <map:match pattern="**.pdf">
> > >                 <map:generate src="content/{1}/index_en.xml"/>
> > >                 <map:transform src="xslt/xhtml2fo.xsl"/>
> > >                 <map:serialize type="fo2pdf"/>
> > >             </map:match>
> > >
> > > When I try get a result via a Webbrowser like Opera/Mozilla (on a
> > Linux-Box) the
> > > PlugIn starts but all I get is a black screen or a comment like:
> > >
> > > There was an error opening this document. A file read error has
> > occurred.
> >
> > Are you sure that your stylesheet matches correctly?
> >
> > -- Andreas
>
> I tried it with different browser and it worked without a problem.
> Anyway as it is server side the browser should not be the problem, or?
>
> The stylsheet definitely needs some further changes. For example the
> <strong> and <b> tags
> are wrong translated to bolder. It has to be bold.
> Image and table integration doesn't work
7)
   for me either but I am working on
> that.
7)

The only difference I can find is that I am using not the default-application. I
use a new application based on the default.

I can generate a pdf from the index_en.xml and the downloaded stylesheet via fop
doing it on the commandline without any problems:

fop -xml ... -xsl ... -pdf ...

I noticed that jetty throws an exception every time I call a pdf. Maybe this can
solve the problem. Unfortunally I can not interpret this message:

06:58:29.313 WARN!! Error for /myApplication/live/Lehre.pdf
java.lang.AbstractMethodError
        at org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.impl.
AbstractCachingProcessingPipeline.
generateCachingKey(AbstractCachingProcessingPipeline.java:369)
        at org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.impl.
AbstractCachingProcessingPipeline.
setupPipeline(AbstractCachingProcessingPipeline.java:655)
        at org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.AbstractProcessingPipeline.
preparePipeline(AbstractProcessingPipeline.java:508)
        at org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.AbstractProcessingPipeline.
process(AbstractProcessingPipeline.java:470)
        at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.SerializeNode.
invoke(SerializeNode.java:147)

Re: AW: Default Publication with PDF

Posted by Christian Kreutz <sc...@gmx.de>.
> Wolfgang Weigel wrote:
>
> [...]
> > I tried to do the same described above. I installed the stylesheet and I
> also
> > modified the publication-sitemap.xmap with the following lines:
> >
> >  <map:match pattern="**.pdf">
> >                 <map:generate src="content/{1}/index_en.xml"/>
> >                 <map:transform src="xslt/xhtml2fo.xsl"/>
> >                 <map:serialize type="fo2pdf"/>
> >             </map:match>
> >
> > When I try get a result via a Webbrowser like Opera/Mozilla (on a
> Linux-Box) the
> > PlugIn starts but all I get is a black screen or a comment like:
> >
> > There was an error opening this document. A file read error has
> occurred.
>
> Are you sure that your stylesheet matches correctly?
>
> -- Andreas

I tried it with different browser and it worked without a problem.
Anyway as it is server side the browser should not be the problem, or?

The stylsheet definitely needs some further changes. For example the
<strong> and <b> tags
are wrong translated to bolder. It has to be bold.
Image and table integration doesn't work for me either but I am working on
that.

Regards

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

[...]

Posted by Wolfgang Weigel <wo...@web.de>.
Christian Kreutz <schreibchris <at> gmx.de> writes:

Hi!

I tried to do the same described above. I installed the stylesheet and I also
modified the publication-sitemap.xmap with the following lines:

 <map:match pattern="**.pdf">
                <map:generate src="content/{1}/index_en.xml"/>
                <map:transform src="xslt/xhtml2fo.xsl"/>
                <map:serialize type="fo2pdf"/>
            </map:match>

When I try get a result via a Webbrowser like Opera/Mozilla (on a Linux-Box) the
PlugIn starts but all I get is a black screen or a comment like:

There was an error opening this document. A file read error has occurred.

Has anybody had the same experience? Can anybody help?

I also want to put some pictures in the pdf. Does this work?

bye for now
Wolfgang

AW: Default Publication with PDF

Posted by Christian Kreutz <sc...@gmx.de>.

I changed a lot of styles i.e. for p, links and other things which
worked fine. On top of that I don't know because I am still
experimenting with it. It seems quite comprehensive but new
features like "Fast web view" might not be included.

When I have implemented and tested it further I will
tell more about it.

> --
> B.K. DeLong
> bkdelong@pobox.com
> +1.617.797.2472

http://ocw.mit.edu                        Work.
http://www.brain-stream.com               Play.
http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org        Potter.
http://www.city-of-doors.com               Sigil.
http://www.hackerfoundation.org          Future.

PGP Fingerprint:
38D4 D4D4 5819 8667 DFD5  A62D AF61 15FF 297D 67FE

Re: Default Publication with PDF

Posted by "B.K. DeLong" <bk...@pobox.com>.