Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Kimmo Eklund <ki...@profes.fi> on 2002/01/23 15:30:47 UTC

Performance using Sybase Anywhere 7

Hi,

I've encountered some performance problems using JDBCDescriptorsStore
and J2EEDescriptorsStore. Performance improved (about 45%) after I
changed database schema. I changed all VARCHARs longer than 255 to LONG
VARCHAR. TEXT datatype would probably done the trick also, but I'm
happy with LONG VARCHAR. It still isn't as swift as it should be, but
better. I've kept in mind that these implementations arent' optimized
for performance, so let's not expect too much :). One thing at the time.

What comes to J2EEDescriptoStore, there's a hardcoded context in
jndi-lookup (comp/env). For example JBoss uses java:/DatasourceName by
default and at least I found it easier to fix J2EEDescriptorStore than
reconfiguring JBoss.

Just in case anyone else has had problems with Sybase performance or
JBoss and J2EEDescriptorStore.

Special thanks to all slide developers and the community! Keep up good work.

Thanks,

Kimmo Eklund

Re: Performance using Sybase Anywhere 7

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> Hi,
>
> I've encountered some performance problems using JDBCDescriptorsStore
> and J2EEDescriptorsStore. Performance improved (about 45%) after I
> changed database schema. I changed all VARCHARs longer than 255 to LONG
> VARCHAR. TEXT datatype would probably done the trick also, but I'm
> happy with LONG VARCHAR. It still isn't as swift as it should be, but
> better. I've kept in mind that these implementations arent' optimized
> for performance, so let's not expect too much :). One thing at the time.
>
> What comes to J2EEDescriptoStore, there's a hardcoded context in
> jndi-lookup (comp/env). For example JBoss uses java:/DatasourceName by
> default and at least I found it easier to fix J2EEDescriptorStore than
> reconfiguring JBoss.
>
> Just in case anyone else has had problems with Sybase performance or
> JBoss and J2EEDescriptorStore.
>
> Special thanks to all slide developers and the community! Keep up good
work.

Thanks for the info. Since the best schema is mostly database dependent, it
could be useful if you contributed the SQL script used to create the tables,
and I'll add it to the JDBC Howto page.

Thanks,
Remy