Posted to dev@tinkerpop.apache.org by Yang Xia <ya...@bitquilltech.com.INVALID> on 2022/12/14 00:49:42 UTC

[DISCUSS] Gorilla Web Toolkit archived - Potentially impacting Gremlin Go GLV

Hi All,

I just want to raise this particular fact to attention, the Gorilla Web
Toolkit just became a public archive on Dec 9 (more information
https://github.com/gorilla#gorilla-toolkit).

As Gorilla WebSocket is the most widely used websocket library, we are
using it in the Gremlin Go GLV. There should not be any immediate impact on
Gremlin Go, as this library has been stable and used in production for the
past decade, however there could be potential issues down the road.

Unfortunately, despite its wide usage (Docker for example), there has not
been much discussion around alternatives, and a lot of current consensus is
to continue using the library. A repository has been created recently in an
effort to revive the project, https://github.com/GorillaIncubator, but I
think many people are still on the outlook.

I believe for now it is sufficient to keep using the Gorilla WebSocket
library and monitor the community for updates.

We could potentially swap out the Gorilla WebSocket for alternative ones,
for example, https://godoc.org/nhooyr.io/websocket, but some effort will be
needed to investigate and find a suitable, actively maintained alternative.

It would be great if anyone familiar with the issue has suggestions.

Cheers,

Yang
*--*
*Yang Xia*
Software Engineer
Improving Vancouver
yang.xia@improving.com

contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review,
use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy
all copies of the original message.  Thank you.