Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Thad Humphries <th...@mindwrap.com> on 2001/08/06 21:39:56 UTC

Xerces and WebLogic

We have an application that we have developed with Apache and Tomcat
(current versions 1.3.20 and 3.2.2 respectively).  Among other things, the
application allows for querying a database and returning the result set in
XML, filterable with XSLT.  We are using Xerces 1.4.2 and Xalan 1.2.3.

All works fine with Apache-Tomcat on Linux and Solaris; with IIS-Tomcat on
NT; and IIS-JRun 3.1 on NT.  Based on a customer's request, I've been
trying it out with WebLogic 6.0 (SP2) on Solaris.  In this environment,
Xerces fails.

The error I am seeing comes from inside Xerces when my servlet is
attempting to build the query result XML:

<Aug 6, 2001 3:32:42 PM EDT> <Error> <HTTP>
<[WebAppServletContext(4818707,emma3)] Servlet failed with Exception
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError: java.lang.RuntimeException: SER003
The resource [HTMLEntities.res] could not load: java.lang.RuntimeException:
SER003 The resource [HTMLEntities.res] could not be found.
HTMLEntities.res
HTMLEntities.res        java.lang.RuntimeException: SER003 The resource
[HTMLEntities.res] could not be found.
HTMLEntities.res
         at org.apache.xml.serialize.HTMLdtd.initialize(HTMLdtd.java:418)
         at org.apache.xml.serialize.HTMLdtd.<clinit>(HTMLdtd.java:560)
         at
org.apache.xml.serialize.HTMLSerializer.startElement(HTMLSerializer.java:529)

I looking at the source code to HTMLdtd.java, it seems that
HTMLEntities.res is being requested correctly.  HTMLEntities.res is in the
JAR file and certainly it works in enough environments that one would
expect it to work in WebLogic (*especially* given it's Rolls Royce reputation).

Does anyone have any experience with WebLogic and Xerces?  Any ideas how I
might resolve this problem or whom to turn to?

Thanks!

RE: Xerces and WebLogic

Posted by Thad Humphries <th...@mindwrap.com>.
Thanks for the tip, Gulli!  I put xerces.jar in
$BEA_HOME/jdk130/jre/lib/ext, restarted the server, and the application
runs fine now.  I dunno how that will fly with my customer but I'll pass it
on.  If they have a problem with the approach, we'll get hold of their BEA
tech support POC for resolution.

RE: Xerces and WebLogic