Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Toralf Lund <To...@pgs.com> on 2022/11/24 14:57:22 UTC

"Can't authenticate using ANONYMOUS PLAIN" on connect with C++ messaging client

I'm testing one of our QPid client applications, using the C++ messging API, on a new machine. It doesn't work very well, as the attempts to connnect to the broker fails with exception message

Can't authenticate using ANONYMOUS PLAIN

what does this actually mean? Connections to the same broker with the same client application works from other systems, so I would think the server configuration isn't the problem. On the other hand, the client host is quite different from the others, and the system is also connected to a different network segment, so there may well be issues in that area. But I don't quite know where to start looking...

Thanks

- Toralf

Re: [External] Re: "Can't authenticate using ANONYMOUS PLAIN" on connect with C++ messaging client

Posted by Toralf Lund <To...@pgs.com>.
On Thu, 2022-11-24 at 15:25 +0000, Robbie Gemmell wrote:

It probably means you havent installed the related cyrus-sasl [dev]

mechanism bits needed to use those mechanisms on the new system, or

theyve been disabled in some way.

Right. That's it, more or less!

I might have mentioned that I'm building one Linux distribution and installing on another (CentOS vs Ubuntu), but I was afraid I would only get unhelpful "that's never going to work" type of answers, and I didn't exepct it to fail quite like this... The thing is, to avoid some compatibility issues, we include various 3rd party libraries, installed on a "private" location, and the set includes the cyrus-sasl library. The "modules" that (apparently) used for authehtication aren't bundled, though, and I suppose the ones already on the system can't be loaded... The solution was quite simply to switch to the system libsasl2. This actually involved creating a link from ".so.3" to ".so.2" as the systems use different shared object versions, but apparently the libs are still compatible. (It looks like they are actually based on nearly the same source code revision.)

So, the connection works now.

Thanks.

- Toralf

On Thu, 24 Nov 2022 at 14:57, Toralf Lund <

<ma...@pgs.com>

Toralf.Lund@pgs.com

> wrote:

I'm testing one of our QPid client applications, using the C++ messging API, on a new machine. It doesn't work very well, as the attempts to connnect to the broker fails with exception message

Can't authenticate using ANONYMOUS PLAIN

what does this actually mean? Connections to the same broker with the same client application works from other systems, so I would think the server configuration isn't the problem. On the other hand, the client host is quite different from the others, and the system is also connected to a different network segment, so there may well be issues in that area. But I don't quite know where to start looking...

Thanks

- Toralf

For additional commands, e-mail:

<ma...@qpid.apache.org>

users-help@qpid.apache.org

Re: "Can't authenticate using ANONYMOUS PLAIN" on connect with C++ messaging client

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.