Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Wetzold, Robert" <ro...@sap.com> on 2010/02/09 18:02:42 UTC

Extension cannot be built in same reactor

Hi,

I have a question concerning extensions. Say we have the following project structure:

      Quality/qpom.xml
      MyComponent/cpom.xml
      mainpom.xml

Quality is buildable on its own and is included as an extension in mainpom.xml in the form

      <extension>
        <groupId>com.sap</groupId>
        <artifactId>quality</artifactId>
        <version>0.0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
      </extension>

My goal is to build everything with only one pom, which is the mainpom. In there, I have a section:

      <modules>
        <module>Quality</module>
        <module>MyComponent</module>
      </modules>

What I would expect is that maven builds quality first and then includes it as an extension into the build for mycomponent. This does not work though. It cannot be build in the same reactor for some reason, although the source code is available. Quality needs to be built first independently which results in the problem that I cannot build the whole project with just one pom.

Is this intended or is there a way I can force maven to build the Quality project first without checking if the extension is already available and building it on the fly?

Robert Wetzold | robert dot wetzold at sap dot com
http://www.sap.com/company/legal/impressum.epx

Re: Extension cannot be built in same reactor

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> What I would expect is that maven builds quality first and then includes
> it as an extension into the build for mycomponent. This does not work

You are correct -- this won't work. This is similar to when you have a
module which is a plugin, and then you want to use that plugin later
in your build. You must build and install the plugin in one execution
of Maven, and then you can use it in a subsequent Maven execution.

This may or may not change in M3, I'm honestly unsure right now. You
should give the latest M3 binaries a try to see what happens.

Wayne