Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by CPC <ac...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/28 08:27:49 UTC

Maximum and recommended storage per node

Hi all,

Is there any recommended and maximum storage per node? In old articles  1tb
per node was maximum but is it still apply. Or is it just depends on our
latency requirements? Can you share your production experiences?

Thank you...

Re: Maximum and recommended storage per node

Posted by kurt greaves <ku...@instaclustr.com>.
There are many different recommendations floating around, typically the
limit depends on how well you know Cassandra and your workload.

If your workload is CPU bound, you should go for more, less dense nodes. If
not, you can sustain higher data density per node. Typically I'd say the
usable range is anywhere from 800GB - 4TB, with a lower amount for read
heavy workloads. Aiming to keep nodes between 50-70% capacity.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of caveats to very dense nodes (>2GB).
The most important ones are bootstrapping/replacement times and repairs.
These will be greatly affected by how dense your nodes are. Compaction is
another notable one as that will only cause problems long after you've
started. You really need a good replacement strategy and an operations team
that really know their stuff before embarking on the very dense nodes
adventure. Start with smaller nodes if this is your first experience with
Cassandra, even if it costs you more.

Re: Maximum and recommended storage per node

Posted by CPC <ac...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kiran,

Is this raw storage size per node or allowed data per node? Can you provide
links or articles about those recommendations?

Posted by Kiran mk <co...@gmail.com>.
Recommended is 4TB per node