Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Mi...@sysline.com on 2000/08/01 11:46:19 UTC

Configuring Linux and SOAP

Hi,

I have installed earlier IBM SOAP into Windows NT (+ Apache 1.3.12 + Tomcat
3.1) and everything seemed to work but for the real work I would like to
use Linux server  with SOAP, Apache and Tomcat. (Linux-Mandrake 7.1)

I installed SOAP to this Linux machine yesterday but it didn't work for
some reason and I read also from the IBM Soap discussion list that other
people are
having similar problems like this one:
Exception in call.invoke : [SOAPException: faultCode=SOAP-ENV:Client;
msg=error parsing HTTP status line: Connection reset by peer: Connection
reset by peer; targetException=java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: error
parsing HTTP status line: Connection reset by peer: Connection reset by
peer]

So I believe that this is a bad compination which is not possible to get
working.
Luckily I just found following new mail where somebody describes how to
install SOAP under Linux...

http://discuss.develop.com/archives/wa.exe?A2=ind0007&L=soap&F=&S=&P=41047

This just seems to be the only success story I have seen so far and that's
why I would like to ask before starting to work is there
any other known problems with Linux environment and SOAP. Things which
comes to my mind are:

1) Are the kernels 2.2.15-2.2.17 working well with SOAP?
2) Is there known problems with following Java versions:
     - IBM JDK 1.1.8
     - IBM JDK 1.3.0
     - SUN JDK 1.2.2
     - SUN JDK 1.3.0 RC2
3) When I start Apache it always complaints that I should compile Tomcat
module mod_jserv.so with option -DAPI is this serious problem and
    how I can get sources for this module?

If you have any other ideas related to the SOAP installation under Linux I
will be interested to read about them...

Mika

RE: Configuring Linux and SOAP

Posted by Steven McDowall <sj...@aptest.com>.
Interesting.. are you sure you re-started Tomcat after putting the xml-soap
soap.jar in the proper place?
That might also have been the problem.. Many people forget that tomcat must
be re-started when you change
soap.jar or xerces.jar ..

Also, xml-soap from apache should be 2.0, not 1.1.2 /.. Did you grab the
right one?

-Steve

Posted by Paul McKernon <p....@aepona.com>.

Posted by George I Matkovits <ma...@uswest.net>.
The original IBM Soap has problems on Linux, the CVS version from xml-apache on
7/30 works for me both on Linux RH6.2 and NT2000 <Advanced Server (at work) +
Server (on my portable) />. I use Tomcat V3.2B1 on  all my systems,  I run
Tomcat either standalone or  with the latest V1.3.12 Apache.
On Linux I built Apache from source with the old mod_JServ,  mod_ssl (from  the
Zurich ETH) and OpenSSL source. I run Apache on Linux with https connections.

On NT I am using the latest V1.3 JDK from Sun. On Linux I installed the V1.3
JDK from IBM alphaworks yesterday. It works with Tomcat and SOAP but I have not
tested any of my other work with it yet.
You do NOT have to use apache with Soap, TomCat in standalone mode works just
great with Soap. When you use it with Apache please do not forget to set the
port# in your URLs. There is still a 'small' bug in the latest CVS at
xml-apache regarding port numbers which I just always fix in my local builds.
Please be careful and use Xerces 1.1.2 with the latest CVS from xml-apache. The
last Release Note tells you to use Xerces 1.0.3 incorrectly!

Posted by Paul McKernon <p....@aepona.com>.

Posted by George I Matkovits <ma...@uswest.net>.

Posted by Ara Kassabian <ar...@techone.com>.
Has anybody tried using the new Apache SOAP release with Xerces 1.1.3? We
used it here with IBM-SOAP and it seems to be OK but you know how these
things go. :-)

Ara Kassabian
TechOne, Inc.
100 N. Brand Blvd., Suite 605