Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Sourashis Roy <so...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/02 15:58:44 UTC

[users@httpd] IP v6 configuration for apache httpd

Hi,
    We are trying to configure apache load-balancer for an IPV6 network.
What changes are required?
For that we tried modifying httpd.conf file with IPV6 addresss like [ipv6
address]      (We enclosed ipv6 address in square brackets.)
but this doesn't seem to work. :(
where are we going wrong?

attaching part of httpd.conf file here-->

HTTPD.CONF file
ServerName [IPV6 addr]

# Secure (SSL/TLS) connections
#Include conf/extra/httpd-ssl.conf
#
# Note: The following must must be present to support
#       starting without SSL on platforms with no /dev/random equivalent
#       but a statically compiled-in mod_ssl.
#
<IfModule ssl_module>
SSLRandomSeed startup builtin
SSLRandomSeed connect builtin
</IfModule>

# see http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_reference.html for more info
SSLMutex default
SSLRandomSeed startup builtin
SSLSessionCache none

#SSLLog logs/SSL.log
#SSLLogLevel info
# You can later change "info" to "warn" if everything is OK

<VirtualHost [IPV6 addr]:$APACHE_SERVER_HTTPS_PORT$>
SSLEngine On
SSLCertificateFile conf/ssl/default.cert
SSLCertificateKeyFile conf/ssl/default.key

#JkMount /dnddemo tomcat
#JkMount /dnddemo/* tomcat

</VirtualHost>

Any help in this regard is appreciated.

Thanks,
HTTPD user !

Re: [users@httpd] IP v6 configuration for apache httpd

Posted by "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>.
On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 05:00:16PM +0200, Krist van Besien wrote:
> Normally you don't have to care about IP V6 in apache. If your OS is
> configured to handle IP V6 than apache will handle IP V6 out of the
> box. You don't need to add IP adresses to your config in normal use
> cases. So just use
>
> Listen 80
> NameVirtualHost *:80
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
> </VirtualHost>
>
> and let the OS worry about IP V6...

Of course, the moment you have more than one vhost, this goes out the
window, because you need to code separate specific addresses instead
of wildcards.  And if you have only one vhost, well, why?

Enclosing IPv6 addresses in square brackets should be correct.  I
think we need to know a lot more detail about what "seems not to work"
means.  In what way does it not work?  Is there anything interesting
in the log files?  Have you tried using a network monitor like tcpdump
or wireshark? what packets did you see?  Do you know that your IPv6
stack is working as you expect?  Is there a host-based firewall, and
is it configured to let the IPv6 traffic through?  (On Linux, for
example, IPv4 and IPv6 use separate sets of rule tables.)

Friends don't let friends publish revisable-form documents.

Re: [users@httpd] IP v6 configuration for apache httpd

Posted by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Sourashis Roy <so...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>     We are trying to configure apache load-balancer for an IPV6 network.
> What changes are required?
> For that we tried modifying httpd.conf file with IPV6 addresss like [ipv6
> address]      (We enclosed ipv6 address in square brackets.)
> but this doesn't seem to work. :(
> where are we going wrong?

Servername is for the host _name_, and its value does not influence
what interface apache listens too.

Normally you don't have to care about IP V6 in apache. If your OS is
configured to handle IP V6 than apache will handle IP V6 out of the
box. You don't need to add IP adresses to your config in normal use
cases. So just use

Listen 80
NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>