Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Andras Beni <an...@streamnative.io.INVALID> on 2022/05/02 06:49:42 UTC

[VOTE] PIP-157: Bucketing topic metadata to allow more topics per namespace

Hi Pulsar Community,

I would like to start a VOTE on "Bucketing topic metadata to allow more
topics per namespace" (PIP-157).

The proposal can be read at https://github.com/apache/pulsar/issues/15254
and the discussion thead is available at
https://lists.apache.org/thread/zx6s7hyrl2vy7nhdl79wh6gn88kxpd6k.

Voting will stay open for at least 48h.

Thanks,
Andras

Re: [VOTE] PIP-157: Bucketing topic metadata to allow more topics per namespace

Posted by Matteo Merli <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 3:04 AM Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Andras,
> even if our rules allow to close a vote with a binding -1, we should
> have to reach consensus and understand better Lari's motivations
>
> we are a community and accepting something with a -1 must be handled carefully
>
> I suggest to try to continue the discussion and try to converge

The place for reaching consensus is the [DISCUSSION] thread, and the
discussion thread was out for many days before the vote was started,
without any negative feedback.
When questions were asked on this voting thread, the clarifications were posted.

No one person has a "veto" power, and I don't think that Lari was
asking for that either.

This is a concrete proposal that removes a current limitation in the
system, in a way that does not impact existing users and provides a
simple mechanism for bucketing that can later be expanded to address
more complex scenarios (like migrations, enable/disable,
splitting/merging).

I've read through the points raised by Lari on the other thread and I
will reply on the ideas for MetadataStore API there, but I don't think
the concerns are related to this PIP-157 proposal and I don't see in
there a different suggestion on how to solve the problem raised by
PIP-157.

This PIP-157 is not about limitations of MetadataStore API, rather is
addressing limitations that are in the backend implementations (eg:
ZooKeeper) where the number of z-nodes in a single directory has to be
limited by the frame-size, or the getChildren() operation will fail.

Yes, there are matters that could be improved in the MetadataStore API
or implementation but I don't see how these can be tied with the fact
that we need to split the children in a directory.

Because of that, I don't think we should turn upside-down the PIP
process, which here was followed to the letter and to the spirit, and
we should still consider this PIP-157 as approved.

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, it's important to stick by the
decisions taken (unless new elements arise that were not initially
considered), or otherwise this PIP process would be just a pointless
exercise.

Matteo

--
Matteo Merli
<ma...@gmail.com>

Re: [VOTE] PIP-157: Bucketing topic metadata to allow more topics per namespace

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Andras,
even if our rules allow to close a vote with a binding -1, we should
have to reach consensus and understand better Lari's motivations

we are a community and accepting something with a -1 must be handled carefully

I suggest to try to continue the discussion and try to converge

Enrico

Posted by Andras Beni <an...@streamnative.io.INVALID>.

Posted by Lari Hotari <lh...@apache.org>.
-1

Posted by Hang Chen <ch...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Thanks,
Hang

mattison chao <ma...@gmail.com> 于2022年5月18日周三 16:44写道:

Posted by Lan Liang <li...@163.com>.
+1   NB

Best Regards,
Lan Liang
On 5/19/2022 17:30,PengHui Li<pe...@apache.org> wrote:
+1 (binding)

Thanks,
Penghui

On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 4:44 PM mattison chao <ma...@gmail.com>
wrote:

+1 (non-binding)

Best,
Mattison

On Wed, 18 May 2022 at 15:20, Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> wrote:

+1 (binding)

Enrico

Il giorno mer 18 mag 2022 alle ore 08:54 Matteo Merli
<ma...@gmail.com> ha scritto:

+1

--

.

Posted by PengHui Li <pe...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by mattison chao <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Matteo Merli <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Matteo Merli <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lari Hotari <La...@hotari.net>.

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
I left some questions.
I am not sure we are ready to run a VOTE, this change will have a huge
impact on Pulsar

Enrico