Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Walter Vaughan <wv...@steelerubber.com> on 2006/06/27 21:02:05 UTC

Dead links from ofbiz.org website marketing page

As part of my presentation to the rest of senior management, I need to show
examples of what other companies are doing with ofBiz's framework on the
ecommerce side of things. I have went to every one of these websites and tried
to get them to work, either by clicking directly on our ofbiz.org website or
going to the top level of the listed domain. I have found a lot of them that are
not working at this time or never will again.

Who takes care of this on the ofbiz.org website?
Is this something that should be posted on the JiRa site as a to-do?

Below "DEAD" means either the domain has been abandoned, is really dead, or is
quite evidently not running the ofBiz framework in any determinable fashion. I
am sure this list is not 100% accurate, but we (I) look stupid when I say look
at all these companies running ofBiz successfully and you have almost a 50%
change of clicking a defunct or non-ofBiz website.

Dead	 - 100OK (Chinese?)
Dead	 - 1st Exclusive: Africlipse
	 - Action Envelope
Expired SSL	 - Adirondack Frostbite
Dead	 - Alarm-Panels
Dead	 - Alcoa Accessory Products
	 - Artreach-Dallas
	 - Beehot (Chinese)
	 - Big Island Sam's
	 - BioWaves
	 - Born Gifted
	 - Cactus Bike
	 - CellularOne (flash front-end)
	 - **Chocolate Secrets
Dead	 - Computers Depot (Spanish)
	 - Discovery Toys
	 - DKNY
	 - Donna Karan Collection
	 - Energy Beam Sciences
	 - Ethical Shopper
	 - EX-Cel Agricultural Belting
Dead	 - Expo Logistics del ICEX (Spanish)
	 - Exterra / Ensystex
	 - First Endurance
Dead	 - Flip (the Bird)
	 - Formative Fun
Not ofBiz	 - Freakshop
Dead	 - Gifted Expressions
	 - Gracious Style
	 - HortHippo.com
	 - Ingeniu (Portuguese)
Dead	 - Mad-man
	 - Magellan University
Expired SSL	 - Manchester Wolves
	 - Messer Group (German, French)
Dead	 - Metrobelle
Dead	 - Oddesse (German/English)
	 - Odyssey Toys
	 - Old Glory
	 - Partner Homes
	 - the patchwork pig
Dead	 - QPro Products
	 - Really Cool Email
Expired SSL	 - Richmond RiverDogs
	 - Salton
site PHP	 - Seidensticker Shirts (German)
site PHP	 - Shirt Alarm (German)
	 - ShockTroop.com
	 - **Silver Wings Plus Club
	 - Skyward Seen
site FLASH	 - Special AI
	 - Steel Goods
	 - Steiner Sports
Dead	 - Storit.com
	 - Techmate
Dead	 - TGoblin.com
Dead	 - Tira Studios
	 - totes >> ISOTONER
Dead	 - UHL Shop
	 - Ulta
	 - Utah's Best
	 - Xinit Systems

Thanks

--
Walter

Re: Dead links from ofbiz.org website marketing page

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@ofbiz.org>.
I think what we need is a budget or a volunteer to keep someone on staff to keep content fresh...

That can probably come later though. A lot of this stuff will be reorganized (or just removed altogether perhaps...) in the OFBiz site redesign.

It would be _really_ helpful for users of OFBiz to submit more case studies or let everyone know about their live sites. That would help everyone, including those sending in the information... I sent out a request for these a little while back in preparation for the site re-design, but so far no takers...

-David

Posted by David Welton <da...@gmail.com>.
> Most of those sites you probably wouldn't want to show a client or management anyway because not much has been invested in their customization.

They why are they on the front page?  Perhaps a more management
friendly strategy would be to have a 'showcase' on the front page, and
then somewhere else a 'list of OFBiz users' with a disclaimer.

You also say that it's not worth tossing a site because it's down, and
that's reasonable.  However, the cumulative effect of a number of
sites not being available looks bad.

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Dead links from ofbiz.org website marketing page

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@ofbiz.org>.
Walter,

It's no problem. I guess I tend to get more sensitive to such things as my email pile grows and grows. And yeah, that's a problem with email isn't it: you don't have the direct interaction with other cues to more thoroughly understand people.

This list is certainly helpful, though as I mentioned more research would be helpful (if you or anyone else has time, of course).

-David

Posted by Walter Vaughan <wv...@steelerubber.com>.

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@ofbiz.org>.
Walter,

This is something that I certainly appreciate help with maintaining. It is perfectly acceptable to submit a patch for the website/index.html file and the website/marketing.html file just as with any other file in OFBiz.

However, if you (or anyone) does want to work on this PLEASE be more careful. The list below is helpful for checking out sites that have changed, but many of the "Dead" links are fine (like Alcoa) or that you say are PHP or something are really using OFBiz (100OK, though the link is now wrong; ). It doesn't mean there entire site is running on OFBiz, so you may need to look closer. Also if the site is under construction or has a deployment issue that's no reason to remove it from the list. Most of those sites you probably wouldn't want to show a client or management anyway because not much has been invested in their customization.

In other words, it's great to have help with this, and would be great to have help looking for new sites as well as finding dead sites. Please keep a positive attitude about it though. The tone I'm seeing in this message is that you are frustrated because you thought you were getting something in this list that you didn't really get. There is nothing that says this is perfect, and like everything else it is a zero budget effort. If that's not cool with you, then doing something about it is great, and this message is a good start. So thank you for it.

-David