Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Rahul R <ra...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/18 11:45:41 UTC

Question on omitNorms definition

Hello,
A rather trivial question on omitNorms parameter in schema.xml. The
out-of-the-box schema.xml uses this parameter during both within
the <fieldType> tag and <field> tag and  If we define the omitNorms during
the fieldType definition, will it hold good for all fields that are defined
using the same fieldType. For eg:

<fieldType name="string" class="solr.StrField" sortMissingLast="true"
omitNorms="true"/>
<dynamicField name="*" type="string" indexed="true" stored="true"/>

Now, will these dynamic fields have omitNorms=true for it ? I have read
about significant RAM usage when omitNorms is not set to true. Hence would
like to ensure that it is set to true for most of my fields.

Regards
Rahul

Re: Question on omitNorms definition

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Sep 18, 2009, at 2:45 AM, Rahul R wrote:

> Hello,
> A rather trivial question on omitNorms parameter in schema.xml. The
> out-of-the-box schema.xml uses this parameter during both within
> the <fieldType> tag and <field> tag and  If we define the omitNorms
> during
> the fieldType definition, will it hold good for all fields that are
> defined
> using the same fieldType. For eg:
>
> <fieldType name="string" class="solr.StrField" sortMissingLast="true"
> omitNorms="true"/>
> <dynamicField name="*" type="string" indexed="true" stored="true"/>
>
> Now, will these dynamic fields have omitNorms=true for it ? I have
> read
> about significant RAM usage when omitNorms is not set to true. Hence
> would
> like to ensure that it is set to true for most of my fields.

Yes, it will hold be set for all fields for that field type

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/

using Solr/Lucene:
http://www.lucidimagination.com/search