Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es> on 2004/03/01 11:35:18 UTC

Once again 302 :(

Hello group,
I have a similar problem like Emre.

...but this time the problem depends on the plattform I am on. I am a
little bit confused because it is running fine on win but on linux not.

Site causing the problem:
andaluciajunta.es

Windows:
I get 302!

Linux (debian):
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection$ConnectionTimeoutException

My code:
public String getHttp(String address) throws Exception {
        //        Create an instance of HttpClient.
        org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient client =
            new org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient();
        String url = null;
        String protocol = "http://";
        String protocolS = "https://";
        //System.out.println("address->"+address);
        if (address.indexOf(protocol) > -1) {
            url = address;
        } else if (address.indexOf(protocolS) > -1) {
            url = address;
        } else {
            url = protocol + address;
        }
        //        establish a connection within 5 seconds
        client.setConnectionTimeout(5000);
        // Create a method instance.
        HttpMethod method = new GetMethod(url);
        method.setFollowRedirects(true);
        //        Execute the method.
        int statusCode = -1;
        int attempt = 0;
        // We will retry up to 3 times.
        while (statusCode == -1 && attempt < 3) {
            attempt += 1;
            try {
                // execute the method.
                statusCode = client.executeMethod(method);
            } catch (HttpRecoverableException e) {
                System.err.println(
                    "A recoverable exception occurred, retrying."
                        + e.getMessage());
            } catch (IOException e) {
                System.err.println("Failed to download file.");
                e.printStackTrace();
                return "666";
            }
        }
        // Check that we didn't run out of retries.
        if (statusCode == -1) {
            System.err.println("Failed to recover from exception.");
            return "666";
        }

        //Read the response code
        try {
            int code = method.getStatusCode();
            //System.err.println(code);
            //Release the connection.
            method.releaseConnection();
            return String.valueOf(code);
        } catch (RuntimeException e1) {
            e1.printStackTrace();
            //Release the connection.
            method.releaseConnection();
            //this is not a valid HTTP code, it was choosen because of
that ;-)
            return "666";
        }
    }

King regards

--
"Erare humanum est", Seneca

Thorsten Scherler

Tfno: 955 062 627
Email: thorsten.scherler.ext@juntadeandalucia.es

Re: Once again 302 :(

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
Michael Becke wrote:

> Hi Thorsten,
>
> Not sure what's happening here.  I'm trying under RedHat and all is
> well.  Please post the error stack trace as well as a wire log of the
> problem <http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/logging.html>.
> This will help to narrow down the problem.
>
> Mike

I used the configuration on
<http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/logging.html>.
...but no *I guess* a stupid question:
To which file will it be written?

Re: Once again 302 :(

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
Michael Becke wrote:

> Hi Thorsten,
>
> Not sure what's happening here.  I'm trying under RedHat and all is well.

I installed the log4j and traced down the problem:
You said for you is working fine!
My local maschine (windows) as well is working fine with both addresses!

...but the server is in a different net! I can't "lynx
www.andaluciajunta.es" from the server the application is running! I
think that is because the server is before the firewall. You and I are
behind the firewall!

Fazit: No problem with the http-client at all! It is a problem of our
net config (firewall)!

Thank you for testing my code that was most valuable information.
This was why I was testing the lynx and found the root problem!
I appreciate your information!

King regards

Re: Once again 302 :(

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
Michael Becke wrote:

> Hi Thorsten,
>
> Not sure what's happening here.  I'm trying under RedHat and all is well.

I installed the log4j and traced down the problem:
You said for you is working fine!
My local maschine (windows) as well is working fine with both addresses!

...but the server is in a different net! I can't "lynx
www.andaluciajunta.es" from the server the application is running! I
think that is because the server is before the firewall. You and I are
behind the firewall!

Fazit: No problem with the http-client at all! It is a problem of our
net config (firewall)!

Thank you for testing my code that was most valuable information.
This was why I was testing the lynx and found the root problem!
I appreciate your information!

P.S. we seem to have some problems with the mail server. This is a repost!

King regards

Re: Once again 302 :(

Posted by Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>.
Hi Thorsten,

Re: Once again 302 :(

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
Site causing the problem:

Re: Once again 302 :(

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
Andre John Mas wrote:

> I am not really in a position to test the code, but could you see
> whether changing the value of the 'user-agent' header gives:
>
>  method.setRequestHeader("user-agent",
>      "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0;
>       en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040113");
>
> or
>
>  method.setRequestHeader("user-agent",
>      "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.2.1) Gecko/20021");
>
> Values taken from: http://nycbug.org/stat/agent_200312.html
>
> Also what JDK versions are you using?

Tried it but no differents. ...but cheers, dude!

I am using Version 1.4.2 on both!

King regards

Re: Once again 302 :(

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.

Re: Once again 302 :(

Posted by Andre John Mas <am...@expedia.com>.
I am not really in a position to test the code, but could you see
whether changing the value of the 'user-agent' header gives:

  method.setRequestHeader("user-agent",
      "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0;
       en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040113");

or

  method.setRequestHeader("user-agent",
      "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.2.1) Gecko/20021");

Values taken from: http://nycbug.org/stat/agent_200312.html

Also what JDK versions are you using?

Andre