Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Kevin Burton <bu...@spinn3r.com> on 2015/02/25 05:42:54 UTC

Wrapper?

I was looking at ActiveMQ’s use of ‘wrapper’.

Does anyone use this?

http://activemq.apache.org/java-service-wrapper.html

Why not run just a normal init script ?

I was playing with start-stop-daemon in Debian and the init script
generator should work with the bin/activemq script we have.

I built my own Debian packages for ActiveMQ … I was probably going to
rewrite them to use start-stop-daemon …

Thoughts?

--

Founder/CEO Spinn3r.com
Location: *San Francisco, CA*

Re: Wrapper?

Posted by Marc Schöchlin <ms...@256bit.org>.
Hi,

Am 26.02.2015 um 19:16 schrieb Kevin Burton:
> Great!
>
> Is there a link to this?  Where is it?  I have my own project that makes
> ActiveMQ into a more proper Debian package.  I was thinking of trying to
> merge it into ActiveMQ and was researching this.

It is part of activemq - see bin/activemq
>> I personally dislike the java service wrapper because:
>> - this prevents the addition of intelligence to the start/stop mechanisms
>> in some ways
>> - this prevents execution on unix platforms which are not supported by the
>> service wrapper
>>   (debian s390, arm, solaris, AIX, ....)
>> - this creates additional dependencies
>>
>> Just use the initscript provided by activemq. What is the reason/benefit
>> to use start-stop-daemon?
>>

> Which one?  The basic bin/activemq?
Jepp :-)
> start-stop-daemon is the official debian way.  I’m not an expert on it but
> it seem pretty straight forward and provides more debian handlers to the
> daemon process.

The manpage does not provide information that using start-stop-daemon is
a real advantage compared to the existing functionality of the script.
So probably it is not necessary to use it.
>> Probably we can add some logic to the init script function
>> invokeJar-Function
>> (
>> https://github.com/apache/activemq/blob/master/assembly/src/release/bin/activemq
>> )
>>

>  There’s also the migration to systemd which is inevitable and a gun
> pointed at everyone’s head..
:-) I really welcome this but i have no idea how  to manage the
configuration and execution logic (all the commandlineoption of the
current script) in systemd?
This is compareable to apache webserver, which also utilizes a
traditional sysv-init script on ubuntu.
> Would there be any interest in me contributing an activemq-debian submodule
> that takes the tar.gz and turns it in to a .deb?
From my point of view that would be great! Having a debian package
source with recent activemq packages would be a great advantage -
especially if you are using configuration management systems like puppet.
> I can just take my code and make it into a pull request and the community
> can work with it moving forward to hopefully provide support for
> ubuntu/debian but also/eventually systemd
Yeah, just fork it on github.
Create a ticket (if there isn't already a existing ticket) and add your
mergerequest to it.
Finally announce it at the users list.

Regards
Marc

--
GPG encryption available: 0x670DCBEC/pool.sks-keyservers.net
(https://www.256bit.org/keys/mschoechlin.pub.asc)

Re: Wrapper?

Posted by Kevin Burton <bu...@spinn3r.com>.
On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 12:43 AM, Marc Schöchlin <ms...@256bit.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i wrote the the recent sysv init script :-)

Great!

Is there a link to this?  Where is it?  I have my own project that makes
ActiveMQ into a more proper Debian package.  I was thinking of trying to
merge it into ActiveMQ and was researching this.

> I personally dislike the java service wrapper because:
> - this prevents the addition of intelligence to the start/stop mechanisms
> in some ways
> - this prevents execution on unix platforms which are not supported by the
> service wrapper
>   (debian s390, arm, solaris, AIX, ....)
> - this creates additional dependencies
>
> Just use the initscript provided by activemq. What is the reason/benefit
> to use start-stop-daemon?

Which one?  The basic bin/activemq?

start-stop-daemon is the official debian way.  I’m not an expert on it but
it seem pretty straight forward and provides more debian handlers to the
daemon process.

> Probably we can add some logic to the init script function
> invokeJar-Function
> (
> https://github.com/apache/activemq/blob/master/assembly/src/release/bin/activemq
> )

 There’s also the migration to systemd which is inevitable and a gun
pointed at everyone’s head..

Would there be any interest in me contributing an activemq-debian submodule
that takes the tar.gz and turns it in to a .deb?

I can just take my code and make it into a pull request and the community
can work with it moving forward to hopefully provide support for
ubuntu/debian but also/eventually systemd

Kevin

Re: Wrapper?

Posted by Marc Schöchlin <ms...@256bit.org>.
Hi,

--
GPG encryption available: 0x670DCBEC/pool.sks-keyservers.net