Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Dan Dumont <dd...@us.ibm.com> on 2012/06/06 19:43:13 UTC

I'd like to include source from this project in shindig (js promises)

https://github.com/kriskowal/q
I think this will make coding async operations in shindig MUCH easier to
do, read, review, troubleshoot , etc...
I'd like to target some spec changes (for 3.0 or later) as well to specify
that some arguments to apis will take or return promises explicitly...
anyway...

Can someone assist me with going through the steps necessary to satisfy
the legal requirements for this project in Apache?

Re: I'd like to include source from this project in shindig (js promises)

Posted by Dan Dumont <dd...@us.ibm.com>.
Talked to Stanton about this...   I'm uncomfortable with using a remote
feature for something that will be required for container operation.
I think it's better to be able to control the version of the included
software and have it hosted on the shindig server rather than relying on a
3rd party hosting service to fetch it from when the server starts up.

From:   Ryan J Baxter/Westford/IBM@Lotus
To:     dev@shindig.apache.org,
Date:   06/08/2012 09:52 AM
Subject:        Re: I'd like to include source from this project in
shindig (js promises)

Dan I thought I remember remote feature code being pulled down when
Shindig starts and not when it is requested....I could be wrong....but you

might want to check.

-Ryan

From:   Dan Dumont/Westford/IBM@Lotus
To:     dev@shindig.apache.org,
Date:   06/08/2012 08:45 AM
shindig (js promises)

I'd like to avoid the extra transaction when loading this code in the
container, so I was thinking putting this all in a feature with the
LICENSE and making it come down in the container core code so that we can
use it everywhere.  Over time I think it will really help us clean up some

of our apis with callbacks being passed everywhere.

From:   "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org>
To:     "dev@shindig.apache.org" <de...@shindig.apache.org>,
Date:   06/07/2012 03:04 PM
shindig (js promises)

On 6/6/12 1:43 PM, "Dan Dumont" <dd...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

>https://github.com/kriskowal/q
>I think this will make coding async operations in shindig MUCH easier to
>do, read, review, troubleshoot , etc...
>I'd like to target some spec changes (for 3.0 or later) as well to
>specify
>that some arguments to apis will take or return promises explicitly...
>anyway...
>
>Can someone assist me with going through the steps necessary to satisfy
>the legal requirements for this project in Apache?

This is the MIT/X11 license and is suitable for inclusion per
http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html.  However, is there a need to
include the source?  Could we find a way to pull down the js at runtime or
build-time to simplify things?  Of course, if it is pulled down at build
time, then we still need to put correctly put the LICENSE & NOTICE entries
in the binary artifacts; but it would mean not having to manage code
directly in Shindig's repository.

-Matt

Re: I'd like to include source from this project in shindig (js promises)

From:   "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org>
To:     "dev@shindig.apache.org" <de...@shindig.apache.org>,
Date:   06/07/2012 03:04 PM

From:   "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org>