Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by OK <po...@olafkrueger.net> on 2016/09/09 05:08:42 UTC

[FlexJS] Starting with the Docs

Hi,
I notice everyone agrees that the docs are crucial, so why not just starting
with it instead of wasting time with discussion? ;-)

Some thoughts to the wiki:
It is also not my favorite candidate for the docs cause it feels a bit
old-fashioned and I'm always lost while searching for something.
But the wiki is there and we could just start with it. Maybe the wiki could
be modernized or the content could be transfered to whatever hip platform
some day.

For the moment I would say "content first" should be the motto!

Suggested roadmap:
- Extract all component names (strands and beads?)
- Create empty wiki pages and name it with the particular component name
- Create one example/reference documentation using a simple component
- Discuss the example and fine tune it
- Complete all the other docs with the reference as template

I think just to have a list of all available components (with empty docs)
would be a progress.
Though my FlexJS skills are very low and my english is bad I'd try to start
with the first point.
But there're some questions:

1) Where the componets located? Could there be easily extracted manually
from the reop?
2) What is a component in FlexJS? Is it a strand or a bead, or both?
3) Are beads interchangeable through any strand?

Thanks,
Olaf

Re: [FlexJS] Starting with the Docs

Posted by OK <po...@olafkrueger.net>.
>3) Are beads interchangeable through any strand?

I thought I should share my thoughts on this:
I wonder if we should separate strands and beads so that they exist side by
side iside the docs or if we should nest beads under the related strand?
If some beads would be interchangable and some not we have to think about
the docs structure a bit more.

You see I've no idea of FlexJS... but starting with the docs could change
this ;-)

Thanks,
Olaf

AW: [FlexJS] Starting with the Docs

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Alex,

actually that's not quite true. We have the Wiki and the Website. The problem is that usually changing the website is far more work than to edit the wiki. The thing with the Maven Site generation however is that it automatically generates the entire Project documentation AND automatically updates the content in Subversion. All is prepared to start doing this, but I disabled the final upload of the generated site as we haven't discussed that yet and I didn't want to do it without. Even if linking to ASDoc on the Flex Buildserver works, the server isn't really great from a performance point of view. Having the documentation on the main Apache Webservers would definitely be nicer.

Have you guys had a look at the links I provided? The cool thing with them is that they are absolutely standard and anyone will know where to look for what information. Every maven-based projects has the same.

Chris

________________________________
Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: AW: AW: [FlexJS] Starting with the Docs

Posted by Nemi <ne...@gmail.com>.
About comments option, of course it is more work, but just saying, IMHO it
will give very easy way for community to add code use examples, snippets
related to topic, report error in docs, suggest docs improvement, ask
question.. etc
Hm maybe something like PHP has "User Contributed Notes".

Re: [FlexJS] Starting with the Docs

Posted by Nemi <ne...@gmail.com>.
As from my perspective as Flex SDK user, current wiki is like unorganized
book. And it has info for sdk-developers and for sdk-users, which IMHO, must
be always separated.

For a start, I think docs should be on some nice named location like:
http://flex.apache.org/flexjs/docs

I would really dig deeper in FlexJS if there are clean docs. And especially,
Flex vs FlexJS differences document with infographics. Then, for example, I
would know how to do my refactorings more in a way that is easier for me to
move on to FlexJS some time later.

Maybe for some later time, it would be great if docs pages would have
comments available.

AW: [FlexJS] Starting with the Docs

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
If you are getting a tomcat error page, probably Jenkins is currently running a build and had cleaned up the workspaces target directory. In that case, just wait for the build job to finish.

Chris

________________________________
Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
If we know we want a Tour de FlexJS, one plan would be to create a Git
repo for it and recruit volunteers to start migrating Tour de Flex to this
new repo.  Then we'd learn what to put in our migration document as well.

Thoughts?
-Alex

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Olaf,

Asdoc integration is on my to-do list. But for this we need to port/add the asdoc support to falcon. An alternative would be to use the old flex version, but we would need to publish the jar(s) to Maven central somehow.

Chris

Von: OK <po...@olafkrueger.net>
Datum: 09.09.16 11:52 (GMT+01:00)
An: dev@flex.apache.org
Betreff: Re: AW: [FlexJS] Starting with the Docs

Christofer Dutz wrote

Posted by OK <po...@olafkrueger.net>.
Christofer Dutz wrote

Posted by OK <po...@olafkrueger.net>.
Alex Harui wrote

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 9/8/16, 10:08 PM, "OK" <po...@olafkrueger.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>I notice everyone agrees that the docs are crucial, so why not just
>starting
>with it instead of wasting time with discussion? ;-)
>
>Some thoughts to the wiki:
>It is also not my favorite candidate for the docs cause it feels a bit
>old-fashioned and I'm always lost while searching for something.
>But the wiki is there and we could just start with it. Maybe the wiki
>could
>be modernized or the content could be transfered to whatever hip platform
>some day.
>
>For the moment I would say "content first" should be the motto!
>
>Suggested roadmap:
>- Extract all component names (strands and beads?)
>- Create empty wiki pages and name it with the particular component name
>- Create one example/reference documentation using a simple component
>- Discuss the example and fine tune it
>- Complete all the other docs with the reference as template
>
>I think just to have a list of all available components (with empty docs)
>would be a progress.
>Though my FlexJS skills are very low and my english is bad I'd try to
>start
>with the first point.
>But there're some questions:
>
>1) Where the componets located? Could there be easily extracted manually
>from the reop?

Depending on how you look at it, each class is a component, or maybe only
classes listed in manifest.xml files are components.
You might get a directory listing or parse the manifest files.

>2) What is a component in FlexJS? Is it a strand or a bead, or both?

See above.
I've been tempted to find a way to mark or annotate classes as being
intended for application developers as opposed to framework developers.

>3) Are beads interchangeable through any strand?

Most beads are re-usable, but not necessarily to any other strand.

I'm still hoping we can be more efficient about the doc.  If we know there
is going to be a Tour de FlexJS, we should put the examples in there as
opposed to having examples in both places, and link back and forth between
the doc and Tour de FlexJS, and probably the ASDoc as well.

HTH,
-Alex