Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by "Hohlfeld, Sven" <Sv...@OBIATOTTO.DE> on 2001/10/01 10:46:41 UTC

AW: JSP use in Jetspeed v1.3a2

Hello Scott,

I think the only thing you shoul do is to change

services.TemplateService.default.extension=vm to
services.TemplateService.default.extension=jsp

in TRP. That worked with my configuration (tomcat322,
jetspeed13a2 and winnt40). There was only one
"little" problem: the customization portlet did not
work any more. I tried the same thing with the older
jetspeed 13a1 and there it worked. So something between
the versions has changed that customize.jsp doesn't work
anymore. As you might know the jetspeed team strongly
recommends VM as standard templating mechanism.

I like jsp too but use VM as default template because
I need 13a2 (because email confirmation works there and
the customizer is much better, additionally the portlets
are more flexible - see webpageportlet for example). To
get JSP to work you should try to have a portlet that
is a JSP Portlet or a Webpageprotlet.
Now you can do whatever you want with your JSP's. Try doing
it with JSP Portlet directly within Jetspeed or do it with a link
to another servlet context withing tomcat or with JSPs handled
by tomcat but displayed within Jetspeed (webpageportlet).

I hope this helps you.

Sven Hohlfeld

Posted by "Scott A. Roehrig" <sa...@hotmail.com>.
Sven:

Yes, it is working now too. I had removed the vm templating service and
properties sections. As I mentioned, it was working with the build of the
overall pages and still is, but as you mentioned, looks like some or most of
the portlets use the vm templating.

I have no real preference between the two. Mostly my job required Java
skills and those I have. I was hoping to not learn another language per se.
In addition, I work extensively with the IBM portal and this leverages Java
at the core, so it works for me. I was using Jetspeed in the base sense to
learn more about the core engine.

I started with 1.3a1 on the learning curve and Jetspeed is really a great
product!