Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch> on 2013/03/20 14:28:04 UTC

What I miss a bit at the project

Hi all

At the old OpenOffice project we have had different IRC Channels. Same
were more active then others, but we have had a load more activity then
now. The fact, that not a load Apache Projects use IRC does not mean
that we are not allowed to use IRC. We are not allowed to make
dessisions at the IRC, because Apache has clear rouls for dessicion making.

IRC has many avantage over a ML. You can discouss problemes life. You
have often much faster a answare. And at same problems. work togeter is
more afective and make more.

I realy would like a more active IRC Channel. I propose
#dev.openoffice.org at freenode as our main channel. I encourage you to
jump in too.

Greetings Raphael

Re: What I miss a bit at the project

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 9:28 AM, Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> At the old OpenOffice project we have had different IRC Channels. Same were
> more active then others, but we have had a load more activity then now. The
> fact, that not a load Apache Projects use IRC does not mean that we are not
> allowed to use IRC. We are not allowed to make dessisions at the IRC,
> because Apache has clear rouls for dessicion making.
>
> IRC has many avantage over a ML. You can discouss problemes life. You have
> often much faster a answare. And at same problems. work togeter is more
> afective and make more.
>
> I realy would like a more active IRC Channel. I propose #dev.openoffice.org
> at freenode as our main channel. I encourage you to jump in too.

It would be wonderful if someone could update this wiki page:

http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/IRC_Communication

And also maybe put a link to it on the website someplace,  maybe even
a link from the navigator on http://openoffice.apache.org, next to
"mailing lists".

-Rob

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.
Hm. Why use #openoffice.org when, say, #openoffice or the like, would do?
louis

Posted by Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch>.
Hi Phil

Am 20.03.13 16:19, schrieb Phillip Rhodes:
> IRC is great and all, and I'm all for having as many channels as
> people feel a need for.  Just keep in mind that the ASF approach to
> projects is to ensure that decision making is done
> in public and very openly.   I think the implication of that is that
> most discussion that leads directly to a decision, and definitely any
> actual decision making, should happen on the mailing list(s).
I don't talk about using the IRC as a tool to have meetings to make
decisions. I talk about daily discussion like questions from newbies and
questions about the work. E.g: I don't understand what user XY means
with comment Z in issue XXXXX, can samone help me? Or I don't know why
this is in the Code, has sameone a answare?

This has nothing to do with decision making neiter with a discoussion
about decision making. For that i want to use IRC channels. But this
works only if people participate.

Posted by Phillip Rhodes <mo...@gmail.com>.
Well said, Rob.  I should have been more explicit in explaining that
when I say "decision making" I mean "big decisions" for some value of "big".
It's a little bit subjective and will always be a judgment call, but I
think your
example is perfect.  "How to fix the broken build" can absolutely be
done on IRC.
Deciding to rewrite Calc in Ada, OTOH would not be something you would want
to do on IRC.

Personally I'm looking forward to a move active IRC presence for AOO
people, as I'm a big IRC fan.  I just want to make sure we stay
aligned with the Apache Way.

Phil

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Phillip Rhodes <mo...@gmail.com>.
The "lack of available record" thing can be addressed - to some extent
- by logging the channel traffic and posting the log somewhere where
it will be publicly available.  Offhand, I'd say this is something we
should do, if we aren't already, to the extent that we use IRC.

Phil

Posted by Phillip Rhodes <mo...@gmail.com>.