Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Telles Nobrega <te...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/27 19:40:29 UTC

Hadoop 2.6.0 Multi Node Setup

Hi, I'm starting to deply Hadoop 2.6.0 multi node.
My first question is:
In the documenation page, it says that the configuration files are under
conf/ but I found them in etc/. Should I move them to conf or is this just
out of date information?

My second question is regarding users permission, I tried installing before
but I was only able to start deamons running as root, is that how it should
be?

For now these are all the question I have.

Thanks

Re: Hadoop 2.6.0 Multi Node Setup

Posted by Telles Nobrega <te...@gmail.com>.
They can resolve each other and I added the names to the slave file
already. Should the ResourceManager machine be in the slaves file?

Posted by Telles Nobrega <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Telles Nobrega <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Telles Nobrega <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ahmed Ossama <ah...@aossama.com>.
Make sure that all nodes can resolve each other.

You can do this by simply modifying /etc/hosts on each node with the IPs
of the cluster

Then add them to your /etc/hadoop/slaves file.

On 01/27/2015 10:58 PM, Telles Nobrega wrote:
> I was able to start some services, but Yarn is failing with
> org.apache.hadoop.yarn.exceptions.YarnRuntimeException:
> java.io.IOException: Failed on local exception:
> java.net.SocketException: Unresolved address; Host Details : local
> host is: "telles-hadoop-two"; destination host is: (unknown):0.
>
> Just to give an overview of my setup. I have 6 machines, they can talk
> to each other passwordless. One is the master with NameNode and a
> second master will run ResourceManager. The slaves will run
> NodeManager and DataNode.
>
> NameNode and DataNodes are ok. ResourceManager is still failing.
>
> On Tue Jan 27 2015 at 16:49:24 Telles Nobrega <tellesnobrega@gmail.com
> <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks.
>
>     On Tue Jan 27 2015 at 15:59:35 Ahmed Ossama <ahmed@aossama.com
>     <ma...@aossama.com>> wrote:
>
>         Hi Telles,
>
>         No, the documentation isn't out of date. Normally hadoop
>         configuration files are placed under /etc/hadoop/conf, it then
>         referenced to when starting the cluster with --config
>         $HADOOP_CONF_DIR, this is how hdfs and yarn know their
>         configuration.
>
>         Second, it's not a good practice to run hadoop with root. What
>         you want to do is something like this
>
>             # useradd hdfs
>             # useradd yarn
>             # groupadd hadoop
>             # usermod -a -Ghadoop hdfs
>             # usermod -a -Ghadoop yarn
>             # mkdir /hdfs/{nn,dn}
>             # chown -R hdfs:hadoop /hdfs
>
>         Then start your hdfs daemon with hdfs user, and yarn daemon
>         with yarn user.
>

>         On 01/27/2015 08:40 PM, Telles Nobrega wrote:
>>         Hi, I'm starting to deply Hadoop 2.6.0 multi node.
>>         My first question is:
>>         In the documenation page, it says that the configuration
>>         files are under conf/ but I found them in etc/. Should I move
>>         them to conf or is this just out of date information?
>>
>>         My second question is regarding users permission, I tried
>>         installing before but I was only able to start deamons
>>         running as root, is that how it should be?
>>
>>         For now these are all the question I have.
>>
>>         Thanks
>
>         --
>         Regards,
>         Ahmed Ossama

Ahmed Ossama

Re: Hadoop 2.6.0 Multi Node Setup

Posted by Ahmed Ossama <ah...@aossama.com>.
Make sure that all nodes can resolve each other.

You can do this by simply modifying /etc/hosts on each node with the IPs
of the cluster

Then add them to your /etc/hadoop/slaves file.

On 01/27/2015 10:58 PM, Telles Nobrega wrote:
> I was able to start some services, but Yarn is failing with
> org.apache.hadoop.yarn.exceptions.YarnRuntimeException:
> java.io.IOException: Failed on local exception:
> java.net.SocketException: Unresolved address; Host Details : local
> host is: "telles-hadoop-two"; destination host is: (unknown):0.
>
> Just to give an overview of my setup. I have 6 machines, they can talk
> to each other passwordless. One is the master with NameNode and a
> second master will run ResourceManager. The slaves will run
> NodeManager and DataNode.
>
> NameNode and DataNodes are ok. ResourceManager is still failing.
>
> On Tue Jan 27 2015 at 16:49:24 Telles Nobrega <tellesnobrega@gmail.com
> <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks.
>
>     On Tue Jan 27 2015 at 15:59:35 Ahmed Ossama <ahmed@aossama.com
>     <ma...@aossama.com>> wrote:
>
>         Hi Telles,
>
>         No, the documentation isn't out of date. Normally hadoop
>         configuration files are placed under /etc/hadoop/conf, it then
>         referenced to when starting the cluster with --config
>         $HADOOP_CONF_DIR, this is how hdfs and yarn know their
>         configuration.
>
>         Second, it's not a good practice to run hadoop with root. What
>         you want to do is something like this
>
>             # useradd hdfs
>             # useradd yarn
>             # groupadd hadoop
>             # usermod -a -Ghadoop hdfs
>             # usermod -a -Ghadoop yarn
>             # mkdir /hdfs/{nn,dn}
>             # chown -R hdfs:hadoop /hdfs
>
>         Then start your hdfs daemon with hdfs user, and yarn daemon
>         with yarn user.
>

>         On 01/27/2015 08:40 PM, Telles Nobrega wrote:
>>         Hi, I'm starting to deply Hadoop 2.6.0 multi node.
>>         My first question is:
>>         In the documenation page, it says that the configuration
>>         files are under conf/ but I found them in etc/. Should I move
>>         them to conf or is this just out of date information?
>>
>>         My second question is regarding users permission, I tried
>>         installing before but I was only able to start deamons
>>         running as root, is that how it should be?
>>
>>         For now these are all the question I have.
>>
>>         Thanks
>
>         --
>         Regards,
>         Ahmed Ossama

Ahmed Ossama

Re: Hadoop 2.6.0 Multi Node Setup

Posted by Ahmed Ossama <ah...@aossama.com>.
Make sure that all nodes can resolve each other.

You can do this by simply modifying /etc/hosts on each node with the IPs
of the cluster

Then add them to your /etc/hadoop/slaves file.

On 01/27/2015 10:58 PM, Telles Nobrega wrote:
> I was able to start some services, but Yarn is failing with
> org.apache.hadoop.yarn.exceptions.YarnRuntimeException:
> java.io.IOException: Failed on local exception:
> java.net.SocketException: Unresolved address; Host Details : local
> host is: "telles-hadoop-two"; destination host is: (unknown):0.
>
> Just to give an overview of my setup. I have 6 machines, they can talk
> to each other passwordless. One is the master with NameNode and a
> second master will run ResourceManager. The slaves will run
> NodeManager and DataNode.
>
> NameNode and DataNodes are ok. ResourceManager is still failing.
>
> On Tue Jan 27 2015 at 16:49:24 Telles Nobrega <tellesnobrega@gmail.com
> <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks.
>
>     On Tue Jan 27 2015 at 15:59:35 Ahmed Ossama <ahmed@aossama.com
>     <ma...@aossama.com>> wrote:
>
>         Hi Telles,
>
>         No, the documentation isn't out of date. Normally hadoop
>         configuration files are placed under /etc/hadoop/conf, it then
>         referenced to when starting the cluster with --config
>         $HADOOP_CONF_DIR, this is how hdfs and yarn know their
>         configuration.
>
>         Second, it's not a good practice to run hadoop with root. What
>         you want to do is something like this
>
>             # useradd hdfs
>             # useradd yarn
>             # groupadd hadoop
>             # usermod -a -Ghadoop hdfs
>             # usermod -a -Ghadoop yarn
>             # mkdir /hdfs/{nn,dn}
>             # chown -R hdfs:hadoop /hdfs
>
>         Then start your hdfs daemon with hdfs user, and yarn daemon
>         with yarn user.
>

>         On 01/27/2015 08:40 PM, Telles Nobrega wrote:
>>         Hi, I'm starting to deply Hadoop 2.6.0 multi node.
>>         My first question is:
>>         In the documenation page, it says that the configuration
>>         files are under conf/ but I found them in etc/. Should I move
>>         them to conf or is this just out of date information?
>>
>>         My second question is regarding users permission, I tried
>>         installing before but I was only able to start deamons
>>         running as root, is that how it should be?
>>
>>         For now these are all the question I have.
>>
>>         Thanks
>
>         --
>         Regards,
>         Ahmed Ossama

Ahmed Ossama

Re: Hadoop 2.6.0 Multi Node Setup

Posted by Ahmed Ossama <ah...@aossama.com>.
Make sure that all nodes can resolve each other.

You can do this by simply modifying /etc/hosts on each node with the IPs
of the cluster

Then add them to your /etc/hadoop/slaves file.

On 01/27/2015 10:58 PM, Telles Nobrega wrote:
> I was able to start some services, but Yarn is failing with
> org.apache.hadoop.yarn.exceptions.YarnRuntimeException:
> java.io.IOException: Failed on local exception:
> java.net.SocketException: Unresolved address; Host Details : local
> host is: "telles-hadoop-two"; destination host is: (unknown):0.
>
> Just to give an overview of my setup. I have 6 machines, they can talk
> to each other passwordless. One is the master with NameNode and a
> second master will run ResourceManager. The slaves will run
> NodeManager and DataNode.
>
> NameNode and DataNodes are ok. ResourceManager is still failing.
>
> On Tue Jan 27 2015 at 16:49:24 Telles Nobrega <tellesnobrega@gmail.com
> <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks.
>
>     On Tue Jan 27 2015 at 15:59:35 Ahmed Ossama <ahmed@aossama.com
>     <ma...@aossama.com>> wrote:
>
>         Hi Telles,
>
>         No, the documentation isn't out of date. Normally hadoop
>         configuration files are placed under /etc/hadoop/conf, it then
>         referenced to when starting the cluster with --config
>         $HADOOP_CONF_DIR, this is how hdfs and yarn know their
>         configuration.
>
>         Second, it's not a good practice to run hadoop with root. What
>         you want to do is something like this
>
>             # useradd hdfs
>             # useradd yarn
>             # groupadd hadoop
>             # usermod -a -Ghadoop hdfs
>             # usermod -a -Ghadoop yarn
>             # mkdir /hdfs/{nn,dn}
>             # chown -R hdfs:hadoop /hdfs
>
>         Then start your hdfs daemon with hdfs user, and yarn daemon
>         with yarn user.
>

>         On 01/27/2015 08:40 PM, Telles Nobrega wrote:
>>         Hi, I'm starting to deply Hadoop 2.6.0 multi node.
>>         My first question is:
>>         In the documenation page, it says that the configuration
>>         files are under conf/ but I found them in etc/. Should I move
>>         them to conf or is this just out of date information?
>>
>>         My second question is regarding users permission, I tried
>>         installing before but I was only able to start deamons
>>         running as root, is that how it should be?
>>
>>         For now these are all the question I have.
>>
>>         Thanks
>
>         --
>         Regards,
>         Ahmed Ossama

Ahmed Ossama

Re: Hadoop 2.6.0 Multi Node Setup

Posted by Telles Nobrega <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Telles Nobrega <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Telles Nobrega <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Telles Nobrega <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Telles Nobrega <te...@gmail.com>.
Thanks.

Posted by Telles Nobrega <te...@gmail.com>.
Thanks.

Posted by Telles Nobrega <te...@gmail.com>.
Thanks.

Posted by Telles Nobrega <te...@gmail.com>.
Thanks.

Posted by Ahmed Ossama <ah...@aossama.com>.
Hi Telles,

No, the documentation isn't out of date. Normally hadoop configuration
files are placed under /etc/hadoop/conf, it then referenced to when
starting the cluster with --config $HADOOP_CONF_DIR, this is how hdfs
and yarn know their configuration.

Second, it's not a good practice to run hadoop with root. What you want
to do is something like this

    # useradd hdfs
    # useradd yarn
    # groupadd hadoop
    # usermod -a -Ghadoop hdfs
    # usermod -a -Ghadoop yarn
    # mkdir /hdfs/{nn,dn}
    # chown -R hdfs:hadoop /hdfs

Then start your hdfs daemon with hdfs user, and yarn daemon with yarn user.

On 01/27/2015 08:40 PM, Telles Nobrega wrote:
> Hi, I'm starting to deply Hadoop 2.6.0 multi node.
> My first question is:
> In the documenation page, it says that the configuration files are
> under conf/ but I found them in etc/. Should I move them to conf or is
> this just out of date information?
>
> My second question is regarding users permission, I tried installing
> before but I was only able to start deamons running as root, is that
> how it should be?
>
> For now these are all the question I have.
>
> Thanks

Ahmed Ossama

Re: Hadoop 2.6.0 Multi Node Setup

Posted by Ahmed Ossama <ah...@aossama.com>.
Hi Telles,

No, the documentation isn't out of date. Normally hadoop configuration
files are placed under /etc/hadoop/conf, it then referenced to when
starting the cluster with --config $HADOOP_CONF_DIR, this is how hdfs
and yarn know their configuration.

Second, it's not a good practice to run hadoop with root. What you want
to do is something like this

    # useradd hdfs
    # useradd yarn
    # groupadd hadoop
    # usermod -a -Ghadoop hdfs
    # usermod -a -Ghadoop yarn
    # mkdir /hdfs/{nn,dn}
    # chown -R hdfs:hadoop /hdfs

Then start your hdfs daemon with hdfs user, and yarn daemon with yarn user.

On 01/27/2015 08:40 PM, Telles Nobrega wrote:
> Hi, I'm starting to deply Hadoop 2.6.0 multi node.
> My first question is:
> In the documenation page, it says that the configuration files are
> under conf/ but I found them in etc/. Should I move them to conf or is
> this just out of date information?
>
> My second question is regarding users permission, I tried installing
> before but I was only able to start deamons running as root, is that
> how it should be?
>
> For now these are all the question I have.
>
> Thanks

Ahmed Ossama

Re: Hadoop 2.6.0 Multi Node Setup

Posted by Ahmed Ossama <ah...@aossama.com>.
Hi Telles,

No, the documentation isn't out of date. Normally hadoop configuration
files are placed under /etc/hadoop/conf, it then referenced to when
starting the cluster with --config $HADOOP_CONF_DIR, this is how hdfs
and yarn know their configuration.

Second, it's not a good practice to run hadoop with root. What you want
to do is something like this

    # useradd hdfs
    # useradd yarn
    # groupadd hadoop
    # usermod -a -Ghadoop hdfs
    # usermod -a -Ghadoop yarn
    # mkdir /hdfs/{nn,dn}
    # chown -R hdfs:hadoop /hdfs

Then start your hdfs daemon with hdfs user, and yarn daemon with yarn user.

On 01/27/2015 08:40 PM, Telles Nobrega wrote:
> Hi, I'm starting to deply Hadoop 2.6.0 multi node.
> My first question is:
> In the documenation page, it says that the configuration files are
> under conf/ but I found them in etc/. Should I move them to conf or is
> this just out of date information?
>
> My second question is regarding users permission, I tried installing
> before but I was only able to start deamons running as root, is that
> how it should be?
>
> For now these are all the question I have.
>
> Thanks

Ahmed Ossama

Re: Hadoop 2.6.0 Multi Node Setup

Posted by Ahmed Ossama <ah...@aossama.com>.
Hi Telles,

No, the documentation isn't out of date. Normally hadoop configuration
files are placed under /etc/hadoop/conf, it then referenced to when
starting the cluster with --config $HADOOP_CONF_DIR, this is how hdfs
and yarn know their configuration.

Second, it's not a good practice to run hadoop with root. What you want
to do is something like this

    # useradd hdfs
    # useradd yarn
    # groupadd hadoop
    # usermod -a -Ghadoop hdfs
    # usermod -a -Ghadoop yarn
    # mkdir /hdfs/{nn,dn}
    # chown -R hdfs:hadoop /hdfs

Then start your hdfs daemon with hdfs user, and yarn daemon with yarn user.

On 01/27/2015 08:40 PM, Telles Nobrega wrote:
> Hi, I'm starting to deply Hadoop 2.6.0 multi node.
> My first question is:
> In the documenation page, it says that the configuration files are
> under conf/ but I found them in etc/. Should I move them to conf or is
> this just out of date information?
>
> My second question is regarding users permission, I tried installing
> before but I was only able to start deamons running as root, is that
> how it should be?
>
> For now these are all the question I have.
>
> Thanks

Ahmed Ossama