Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Gavin Beau Baumanis <be...@palcare.com.au> on 2010/12/07 02:10:22 UTC

SVN Version upgrade.

Hi Everyone,

For our production repositories we're using 1.5.1

My question is - is there an appropriate version to upgrade to?
We're tossing up between;

Update to the latest 1.5.x
Update to 1.6.x
Or simply wait it out  - for 1.7

Is there a "suggested" upgrade path?

As always - thanks.
Gavin "Beau" Baumanis

Re: SVN Version upgrade.

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 9:10 PM, Gavin Beau Baumanis <be...@palcare.com.au> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> For our production repositories we're using 1.5.1
>
> My question is - is there an appropriate version to upgrade to?
> We're tossing up between;
>
> Update to the latest 1.5.x
> Update to 1.6.x
> Or simply wait it out  - for 1.7
>
> Is there a "suggested" upgrade path?

Don't hold your breath waiting for 1.7. There are a huge number of
feature changes in the code, and there's not even a published release
candidate yet.

Definitely jump to 1.6.x, 1.6.15 is current right now. There are some
useful security updates there, and numerous improvements in
multi-language or oddly formatted log handling that are well worth the
work to update.

Re: SVN Version upgrade.

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com> wrote:

> Of course you can run svnadmin upgrade to bring the repository to version 1.6. If you don't it will keep storing stuff in the 1.5 format and you will lose many of the advantages of 1.6.

You also won't reap the performance benefits of rebuilding the database.

RE: SVN Version upgrade.

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.
> > From: Gavin Beau Baumanis [mailto:beau@palcare.com.au]
> >
> > For our production repositories we're using 1.5.1
> >
> > My question is - is there an appropriate version to upgrade to?
> > We're tossing up between;
> >
> > Update to the latest 1.5.x
> > Update to 1.6.x
> > Or simply wait it out  - for 1.7
> >
> > Is there a "suggested" upgrade path?
>
> Basically, whatever you want is fine.  You should upgrade to at
> least a
> newer version of 1.5, for bugfixes and so forth.  And maybe you
> care about
> new features of 1.6.  I find the performance improvement in 1.6 to
> be quite
> noticeable.
>
> On the server, there's no need to dump/load your repository, if you
> simply
> start using 1.6 server process, it's compatible.  That being said -
> All the
> stuff that was written in repo by 1.5 will continue having 1.5
> performance,
> while new stuff will be written in 1.6 format and faster.  If you
> want
> optimal performance, and can afford to extend the downtime, then
> doing a
> dump/load to upgrade your repository might possibly enhance
> performance.

Of course you can run svnadmin upgrade to bring the repository to version 1.6. If you don't it will keep storing stuff in the 1.5 format and you will lose many of the advantages of 1.6.

BOb

RE: SVN Version upgrade.

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.

RE: SVN Version upgrade.