Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2004/05/18 23:47:35 UTC

[logging][PROPOSAL] a solution to incompatibility between log4j versions

the gump build of log4j has been failing over the last few days. this
has (in turn) lead to a large number of downstream build failures. this
has alerted us to the fact that we're fast approaching the time where
we will have to deal with supporting three binary incompatible major
versions of Log4J.

i think that the time has come to adopt a more systematic approach to
this problem.

i propose that Log4jLogger continues to support the CVS HEAD version of
log4j but that we create Log4J12Logger and Log4J11Logger
implementations supporting the two major Log4J versions out there. when
log4j 3.0 alpha/beta/release candidate comes out, we add a
Log4J13Logger to support the 1.3 series of binary compatible releases.

the LogFactoryImpl would then use reflection to make a best guess about
the version of log4j present when checking for log4j and also when
creating a Log4jLogger instance (a cheat to help backward
compatibility).

i've take a look into the implementation details and i think that this
plan could be done pretty quickly and easily. if no one else raises any
objections, i'll complete and commit the implementation tomorrow.

i'm very open to suggestions about the best way to structure the build
scripts.

- robert

Re: [logging][PROPOSAL] a solution to incompatibility between log4j versions

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> i'm very open to suggestions about the best way to structure the build
> scripts.

You able to benefit from Ant 1.6 (or are they earlier?) selectors? Ant's own
build file uses them (along with <available and such to do some pretty slick
conditional compilation.

regards,

Adam